Sunday, May 23, 2004

now you're living in the lifline, we're moving ... so live and let live in love

Lately I have been discussing being a mommy with - well, my mother. Turns out she is hearing the same thing from the people she works with, that I am heard from people I know - and that is...."I am planning to have kids, I just don't have enough money saved up."

Here's the deal, that's fucking bullshit. Get this - YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH MONEY. If you're saving up - do something else with your money like buy a Porsche, cause those things have a price tag, a kid does not. You can't plan or project how much it's going to cost cause there are too many curveballs in life. If you are living comfortably and not in poverty - you will make it, things will be fine.

People have been asking me what it's like to have a baby and the weird thing is, there is no possible way you can explain it. For all the bad times (of which there are many) the good times make you feel so incredibly loved that the bad times don't matter.

You can babysit the neighbors kids, or your nieces and nephews - but there is nothing that can prepare you for the feeling of holding your own child and feeling nothing but love radiating from them. It's the best feeling in the world, yet it is so hard to convince couples to take that plunge and see for themselves how totally worth it - it truly is.

If you don't want to have a kid cause you're not emotionally ready, I get that. But the money thing? Forget it.