Monday, August 30, 2004

What a wonderful town

Anyone, Anyone? I need some help -- a good friend of mine is going to New York...for two days! That is way too short to visit the greatest city in the world, but, if that's all the time you have, make the most of it! Hmm..what would you suggest for such a short trip?

As far as New York institutions, I'd say, eat a hotdog at Gray's Papaya. Follow that up with a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity.

Brunch at Tavern on the Green is a must, but reservations don't come easily. It is so beautiful to eat there with a view into the park. (For those of you who may not be familiar with this place, it was featured in the show Newlyweds when Nick and Jessica took a carriage ride through the park and ended up having dinner there.) However, my friend said this place seemed too "girly", so if anyone has alternatives for a nice place let me know. I'd say the Rainbow Room - but that may be too staid. Probably something young and hip would be better. Although my tastes have never run the "young and hip" direction - I'm a classic kinda gal. I know the meat-packing district is supposed to be the bomb - but who knows. I haven't been to New York in like 2 years.

I also suggested a Broadway show. The best show in town has to be Hairspray, The Boy from Oz or Avenue Q. She said they may go see Wicked. I've heard great things about that show too.

Of course the best part of New York is the sightseeing. The museums are to die for and taking a tour bus up through Harlem is also very cool. God I miss New York. Walk through the park and go to the fountain and the lake. All nice on a warm day. I OF COURSE, had to visit Strawberry Fields, the memorial to John Lennon.

Finally, what is New York without shopping? SOHO is my favorite place on earth. Dean and Deluca for my sweet tooF, Kate's Paperie for the most gorgeous stationery and Kate Spade for well, purses!
I suggested she go to H&M for the world's hippest cheapest clothes, and Macy's Herald Square just because - hello - an 8 story Macy's that takes up a whole city block? I'm there!

Well, any suggestions YOU may have will be greatly appreciated, I'm sure. I wish I was in Central Park right now...

7 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

The MET's recently renovated wings features gorgeous views into Central Park. The cafe was built with huge windows featuring the park, a nice way to have lunch or an afternoon snack.

Tamarind (on 22nd between Park Ave. South and Broadway) is a good Indian restaurant but I always go next door to their tea room. Yummy sandwiches, comforting tea and a relaxed atmosphere. Their prices are good for the checkbook too.

Monday, August 30, 2004 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger foodiechickie said...

God the way you talk about my city makes me happy. All the advice you gave were good places! If they want good cheesecake they might want to tredge into brooklyn at Junior's cheesecake for cheesecake!

Monday, August 30, 2004 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger SouthernMom said...

No suggestions for NYC, but I just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday! I haven't been around much lately so I'm doing a bit of catching up tonight. It sounds like you had a great b-day dinner, too! Have a great week!

Monday, August 30, 2004 6:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn! Payard's Patisserie on Lexington Ave. (between 73rd & 74th Streets) is really good for some morning coffee and pastries. If she likes risotto (like I do!), I came across this place in Greenwich Village - Risotteria on Bleecker Street (betw. 6th & 7th). They have every kind you could imagine, and it was really good!
:) -hiroko

Monday, August 30, 2004 6:37:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

I forgot - H&H for the best bagels in New York.

Monday, August 30, 2004 9:55:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

how could i forget - MTV studios in Times Square?? Last time we went we saw 98 degrees there. Big deal. Una Noche.

Monday, August 30, 2004 10:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
...for all the responses to the NYC blogs and THANK YOU Jenn for your massive internet effort to help this trip become so worthwhile for me. It was AWESOME! Even got to go to one of the interesting food places on this blog: Rice to Riches. It was iiiiinteresting. But I have to say - know what rice pudding is before you go there and you must like rice pudding. :) Do NOT order the "Courage" coffee...unless you like orange and chocolate...A LOT! I like orange and chocolate, but this mix made it impossible to get through even 1/3 of the 16 ouncer we bought. I had to trade in for a small mocha.

Anyhoo - NYC was great! I wanna go back, though I have to wait until my legs recover, I can barely walk today.

lots of thanks ~cheryl

Monday, September 13, 2004 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home