Tuesday, September 07, 2004

J-LO

Ok - I am done with Rusty's wedding invites. Whew - pimpin' ain't easy with a kid around. Nothing gets done. Good thing I don't have other clients right now.

As I said, it' DAMN HOT. So something tasty and cool is definitely in order. When my mother in law was here she made a ton of stuff, one being Layered Jello, from the book "Hawaii's Best Local Desserts" by Jeean Watanabe Hee. It's a very cool book - tons of good recipes. My only qualm about this recipe - the Hawaii way is to grease the pan with mayonnaise. I'm dry heaving as I type this. God. Mayonnaise is the devil. So what if I eat potato salad, that's different than GREASING A PAN with mayonnaise. Ugh, disgusting.

Anyway - I talked my mother in law out it - so here's our recipe for layered JELL-O (hold the mayo). Sure gelatin is just horse hooves and pig snouts, but damn, it's tasty.



4 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Yum! I'm definitely going to try that! :)

Wednesday, September 08, 2004 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger little things said...

I refer to layered jello as "funeral jello" because whenever someone passed away when I was growing up in Hawaii, the catering people or whoever put together the food that they would offer guests after the service would serve layered jello. To this day, I cannot even look at this kind of jello without wondering... hmmm... who died?

Wednesday, September 08, 2004 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I LOVE that Jell-O! And I especially like it when they cut them in squares and put them in the cupcake papers, making them seem "fancier."

But lo! I am dry-heaving a bit myself too w/ the thought of MAYO?! Oh lawd! It is the devil. I can't eat ANYTHING if I am the one who has to add the Mayo.....disgusto.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004 6:55:00 PM  
Blogger Giao said...

Those jello layers are beautiful! I can't even fathom the idea of them with mayo though, YUCK! In appearance, they look a little bit like these gelatinous pastries in Vietnamese bakeries. Not sure what they'd be called in English, but they're green and gelatinous, layered with a light yellow, slightly gelatinous sweet bean cream. YUM, making my tummy grumble. Thanks for the recipe!

Thursday, September 09, 2004 9:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home