Tuesday, October 12, 2004

everyone around me is a total stranger

Yes I hate using the phone, but if it's someone I know that's one thing. If it's someone I DON'T...prepare for my wrath.

PHONE: "Hi, I'm calling from the As*an Amer*can (blah blah blah), on November 2nd the elect...."
ME: "Where did you get my name?"
PHONE: "Uh...from the voter registration...?"
ME: "So you're just randomly calling people with asian-y sounding last names?"
PHONE:"...uh....yes...?"
ME: "I think that's horrible and a violation of privacy. Take me off that list."
PHONE: "Well the as*an amer*can vote is very important..."
ME: "No kidding? Well guess what - I've been registered since the day I turned 18, so I don't need any help from you."


Harsh? Maybe. But hell, why just put me on a list cause my last name is as*an-esque? That is ridiculous. I mean, what if I was Latino and married an asian, hello?? Furthermore, if we were all classified by our last names, then explain how my cousin received a letter addressed to "MRS. CORNHOLE." (And no that's NOT her last name.)

What next, "Hi, we're calling from the CORNHOLES for america...."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, you're a girl after my own heart. I've got mixed ethnicities and people can be SO RUDE 1) just in what they ask or say and 2) in the way they take your response. Hello - card carrying member.

I always look at it all like it's special ed. I don't need it; don't want it; and find it incredibly condicending (sp).

And yeah, I even vote in the primaries...;).
-kat

Tuesday, October 12, 2004 4:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home