Friday, November 19, 2004

random acts of kindness

Sometimes you just feel like doing nice things for people for no reason. And sometimes...

Yesterday I went to Macy's to pick up pre-sale items for a friend who lives in Hawaii. I was not shopping, just picking up. The salespeople were clueless and I ended up being there for over 2 hours. Now, trying not to be my "thisclosetoangermanagement" usual self...I kept my cool. To a point. Finally I started TALKING LOUDLY (not screaming) "I want a manager and I want one NOW." The incompetence coupled with my kid going nuts had pushed me to my boiling point.

**Have you seen that horrid MTV show "Boiling Points," where they f* with you til you lose it? Well let's just say that in that one episode where they lock you in a room with a fat guy passing gas, I'd have kicked his ass at the 8 second mark...

Anyway, as I am fuming, TALKING LOUDLY (not screaming), this other shopper, this little old Japanese lady comes up to me and goes, "You should be more aggressive." I thought she was being sarcastic since I was CLEARLY ticked - Note: all other shoppers were clutching their belongings in my presence - but she was dead serious. She went on to say, "You're being too nice, you should really give lay into them!!" I was like, what? Huh? Short of jumping the counter and headbutting the saleswoman, what was I supposed to do?

Anyway, to make up for this disaster I went up to kid's wear and some lady didn't have her "take an extra 20% off" friends and family pass. So I let her use mine. She said, "Oh my, you are so kind, so kind!" I thought to myself, you should have seen me 10 minutes ago.

Meanwhile, someone better go clean up my kid's Cheerios down in Handbags...


3 Comments:

Blogger foodiechickie said...

You get them!!!

Saturday, November 20, 2004 7:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would laugh but I had the hick version of that yesterday. I have a cold and lack of sleep. I spent quite a bit more than $100 and 2 hours at Walmart on Thanksgiving/Groceries/Perscriptions. Crowds of the polite and impolite (I hate it when store personnel forget reasonable customer curtosy is part of the job - like not blocking the aisle/giving dirty looks).

Like you I'm known to be a combat shopper whose changing her ways. I was actually really good until this man thought he was gonna check my purchases against my receipt ala Sams Club. We had a bit of a loud tussle and I told him he was not. I don't pay them membership and I won't put up with that from any retailer. GRRRRRR.
-kat

Saturday, November 20, 2004 9:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - and as I was unloading my car - this elderly woman came and asked for my cart and we had a lovely conversation. So...there...
-kat

Saturday, November 20, 2004 9:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home