Monday, December 27, 2004

rockin' new year's eve


Ah, the holidays went by fast. I keep forgetting New Year's eve is on Friday already. With a kid, we won't be leaving the house. That's fine with me, with all the drunk bastards out and about.

We won't be in Hawaii this year so no firecracker popping. It's pretty darn dangerous, but you can't argue with tradition. One year in Hawaii we saw a house on fire. That's a nice thing to come home too after a night os celebrating. Ugh.

However, in our family it does mean that you have to have the traditional Japanese New Year's food to make sure you have good luck. Tradition is interesting. There are these crazy dried fish for long life and black beans for good fortune. Both of which I find disgusting and refuse to eat, therefore I will be poor and dead soon. Happy New Year!

3 Comments:

Blogger little things said...

My family is FedExing me some mochi so that I can eat ozouni for the New Year's since I won't be going home to Hawaii. I hate the taste of mochi in broth, but I am making myself eat it just so I won't have bad luck in the new year. I am such a sucker for these Japanese traditions! Hauoli Makahiki Hou!

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 8:19:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

I don't know if this is any better, but put the mochi in your toaster til it starts to puff and get brown.

Then dip it either in a shoyu & sugar mixture, or kinako. Yum. You'll still have good luck!

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 8:57:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Yep I had my mochi and black beans. UGH. Not for me. But I ain't risking that bad luck crap. No siree!

Sunday, January 02, 2005 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home