Sunday, January 09, 2005

chocolate heaven


I've got to tell you, I've found the best recipe ever, for chocolate pound cake. It's from the Williams-Sonoma Nordic Ware Bundt Classics cookbook, and it's moist and delicious and not too heavy. I changed the recipe slightly (as usual). I'm not a fan of loaf pans so I used my cathedral cake pan. Look, doesn't it look nice and church-y? Ha. This is Grandma's bday cake.

Chocolate Pound Cake
3 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1-3/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup Valrhona cocoa powder**
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8oz mini chocolate chips

Heat oven to 325 degrees. I used a pastry brush to butter up my cathedral cake pan. In your mixer mix sugar and butter til light and fluffy then add the eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Then mix the butter mixture while alternating the dry ingredients and the milk - ending with the dry ingredients. After it's well mixed, fold in mini chocolate chips.

Spoon into your cake pan. Bake at 325 for approx 90 minutes, checking with a toothpick for a dry center. If you are using a bundt pan, let it cool down for about 10 minutes, then turn it over on a wire rack - don't lift the pan off for another 20 mins or disaster may strike. I.e. your cake will fall apart.

This tastes damn good with ice cream.

**Valrhona cocoa powder makes the cake 100% better. Trust me.

2 Comments:

Blogger foodiechickie said...

I love that mold. I have the mini version. The recipe sounds devine! I'm sure Granndy enjoyed it!

Sunday, January 09, 2005 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

What a gorgeous cake....it makes me want to get down on my knees and pray to the God of Chocolate! Ha!

I've been yearning for one of those pans, but I was always hesitant. I always assumed that it would get stuck in the pan! But yours turned out so loverly!

Sunday, January 09, 2005 3:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home