Friday, February 04, 2005

She will listen to me, when I want to speak, about the world we live in, and life in general

Being an adult is weird.

I went to the mall with the kid and there was a woman next to me at the food court. She had a baby the same age as mine. She seemed nice and friendly, and so was her kid. Part of me wanted to say so badly, "Do you want to be my friend?" How lame is that. But you can't do those things because, well, you're an adult dammit.

As you get older, you start to lose friends. I used to try to hold on to them, but people change I guess. Your single friends don't understand why you can't go out, your married friends have that constant look of terror as your kid runs and screams towards them. It's like you have to start over and find new friends.

Anyway, we went our separate ways. I never got her name, but I had a good time talking to her.

She showed me these little peas that her kid was eating - they were freeze dried, no other ingredients - just peas. In fact that's what they were called - "JUST PEAS." Ha - I should have invented those! justJENN's justpeas. They are pretty awesome. They aren't baby food, but babies love the crunch. I bought a whole load for the boy. He can't get enough. I'm wondering if the ingredients are actually "just peas" and "just crack." Seriously, he won't eat anything else.

Maybe I'll go back to the mall and hopefully someone will befriend me and my pea addicted son.

11 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Thanks.....now I have that song stuck again! Ha!

Have you ever tried the freeze dried corn? Pretty yummy! :)

I'm kinda in limbo land right now too - - it seems like people are having kids later in life.....so most of my friends (save for a few) don't have kids. It's hard to relate to them nowadays!!

At least you have your "nerd internet friends!" Ha ha!

Friday, February 04, 2005 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger On The Mark said...

I hate peas. When I was a kid, my father decided to paint the kitchen one day. When he pulled away the floor boards, he found piles of dried peas behind where I sat at the kitchen table (he used to go in and watch television with my mom while I had to sit at the table and "eat" my peas). My dad was a great guy, but old-fashioned '50s in some ways. At least he got the point when he saw the peas.

Friday, February 04, 2005 2:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know where one would get those peas? Trader Joes used to carry bags of them but discontinued them. My dad loves them (as do I). Can't find them now. Not even the little too expensive can.
-kat

p.s. I'll be your friend:D. I need to e-mail sometime. Sorry for being a spaz hick.

Friday, February 04, 2005 3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me in case I forgot to identify myself
-kat

Friday, February 04, 2005 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger foodiechickie said...

I can totally relate to having friends go in different directions. It is so difficult to adjust. I sometimes wanna say that same thing to people I find interesting but then I feel like a goober.

Friday, February 04, 2005 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger Rey said...

I might have to buy those peas. My 3year old son refuses to eat any greenery.

Friday, February 04, 2005 6:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The friends thing is so true. And the thing with the peas - wonderful! My daughter was eating frozen peas last night, so I'm definitely going to look for these. I think she'll love them!

Enjoying your blog!
-Cielenpapier

Friday, February 04, 2005 9:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm totally the same way. how do you say "can i have your number?" without sounding like a complete stalker?

mipmup.

Saturday, February 05, 2005 6:30:00 AM  
Blogger blue2go said...

It is so hard to make new friends as an adult. Oh, I meet lots of new people, but it's hard to take the next step and get together again. They seem to be in their own happy little group and not looking for anyone new as a friend. That seems to be the problem, most people just aren't looking, they're happy with the friends they have. I'm happy with my current friends, but am greedy--I want MORE friends and more people to do fun things with and go to events!

Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:46:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

so far WHOLE FOODS is the only place I know that carries those peas. they have everything, onions, apricots, blueberries...all freeze dried.

Sunday, February 06, 2005 8:44:00 PM  
Blogger Giao said...

yeah, the friends thing, you are so right about it. Wouldn't it be fun if things in grown up life could be like they were in the dorms, when you could just befriend someone easily because they're in the same class (supermarket) and have a fun quip to just share?

Leslie's right, though. You do have your nerdy internet friends. :)

And I buy the dried Just fruits at Whole Foods too. Strangely addictive, esp. the berries.

Monday, February 07, 2005 7:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home