Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I'm just Jenny from the block

I give people nicknames. I give everyone I know nicknames.

Truth be told, if you’re reading this, and I know you, you probably have a nickname that I’ve given you, and you don’t even know it. But whenever you call or email me, it’s the first thing that pops into my head, usually followed by exclamation points and lots of glee. Unless I hate you, then your nickname is probably followed by an "eyeroll".

If you wanna know what name I’ve given you, I’ll tell you, but I warn you, they’re not fancy or cheeky, just things I’ve come up with completely out of love. Er...or hate.

Anyway, names are funny things. Most of my life I’ve been Jenn, and then justJENN when I was a dj in college. But for some odd reason, everytime I go to the doctor or somewhere where they ask, :”Name?” I always, always say, “Jennifer.”

There is exactly one person who calls me that and that’s the IT guy at work, don’t ask me why. I figured he set up my account 6 years ago and can’t let it go.

Point is, I went to the doctor today, and as usual, they said, “Name?” and I said, “Jennifer.” Then, when they called me in: “Jennifer? Is there a Jennifer here?” Like an idiot, I looked around like everyone else, wondering who this Jennifer chick was. It...was...me. Duh.

I have to stop doing that.
I have to remember when they ask, “Name?” I should reply:
“Jenn. just JENN. Like Madonnna.”

.

11 Comments:

Blogger Giao said...

Tee hee! Names are funny like that. Like a heightened sense of formality settles in in some situations...

And dude, I was a DJ in college too!

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I lived with a dj when I was in college...

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:29:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Okay, what's my name? (Dying to know)

And why does it not surprise me that both you and Giao were D.J.s?! You two are quite the music gurus!

And to clue you in on how professional teachers are, here are some nicknames my faculty has had for fellow teachers (and students too):
• "Horse Face"
• "Idiot Savant"
• "PABBIE" (for Punk Ass B*)
• "Chest Hairs"
• "Monobrow"
• "Drowned Rat"

Oh teachers are cruel, I tell ya. It's like living in middle school all over again.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:37:00 PM  
Blogger alexis said...

Everytime you say "just Jenn", all I can hear in my head is "just Jack" from Will & Grace!

Nicknames are funny. Very few people actually call me by my real name. George's side of the family calls me Lexi, my Dad's side calls me Alex, other family members call me Lex. I guess I'll answer to anything! :)

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

I am reading this but I'll bet you don't have a nickname for me.
Not that I'm offended or anything.....

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you have a nick-name for me but I'd make me e-mail you for it if I were you. I bet the word "hick" is involved:D.

Personally I really like my given name. I used to try to make them call me it in grade school but it was easier to just go with the flow.I know someone really likes me now if they call me by the formal full one.
-kat

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:14:00 PM  
Anonymous shiz said...

This is hilarious! Whenever I go to coffee houses, restaurants, noone can say my name - shizuka. Nor can some of them understand Shiz. My jewelry teacher can't say shiz and so now he calls me Sho-shu (or something close to Cha-shu). I always use my sister's name Lisa whenever I go to public places. Problem is, when you start frequenting them (like Pacos Tacos) they then think my name *is* Lisa (I guess what else would they think it is?!)... on the other end, my sister makes up names when she goes out, because Lisa is so common that she's had her drink stolen more than once... and don't mess with her jamba juice!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger SouthernMom said...

That is too funny...I'd bet that you've got some funny nicknames in that noggin. hehe

Leslie...you hit the nail on the head! It is just like that at my school, too!

And, like Alexis, I hear "just Jack" in my head when I read "just Jenn"

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger Liquid Sky Arts said...

My brother gives everyone these crazy nicknames...he called my sister "squidina" and every deriviation of it for years. I was the only one who somehow squeaked through without one!

I'm a bit envious about the college DJ thing...that was something I always daydreamed about.

Friday, March 04, 2005 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

one-n-jen here ... I hope you don't mind, but this post got me thinking about all of my nicknames, so I am going to post about them on my blog and credit you for the idea ... b/c I, too, am known as jen to everyone but in a professional setting ... and i oftentimes look around the room when I hear the name "jenifer" being called out ...

Saturday, March 05, 2005 9:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home