Saturday, April 02, 2005

I'm not trying to tell you anything, you didn't know when you woke up today


Tower was having a big dvd sale, I put down the Erasure videos and backed away, but I went ahead and I bought Depeche Mode 101 for a mere $10. I haven't seen that thing since, um, it came out on VHS, (hi, i'm old) whenever that was. But does the dvd ever bring back memories.

I was at the concert for the masses in 1988, damn, that was 17 years ago. While the dvd is great quality and all, it still doesn't fully capture what it was really like to be there. It was...amazing. 80,000 people, all of whom know the words to Never Let Me Down Again, singing in unison, well that's just unforgetable, right there.

It was really nice to watch it again. The outfits and hairdos, most of which I had, yikes, insane. The music, good as ever.

Highlights for me:
1. Dave Gahan playing pinball and singing...Roxy Music!
2. Fletch's cute glasses.
3. The live version of "Stripped." LOVE THAT.
4. The interviews with the "kids." My how they've aged.

.

6 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Miss Jenn
I, too, was at that very concert -- I think I went to that one twice (were they at the Rose Bowl that year?). Also I went to the Black Celebration concert too.......

Oh, those were the days.

(Hi, I'm OLD too!) Ha!

Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger Sparkle & Shine Design said...

LOVE that movie! I have the VHS one from back in the day and my best friend and I must have watched that thing 500 times in high school. It was the blonde punk chick on the bus that inpired me to pierce my one ear 8 times - I just loved how it looked.

I love that Dave Gahan part too - where he's smiling and sings into the camera - or watching Martin Gore getting into his crazy outfits.

I always hated "Fletch" though - he always seemed to be motioning to the crowd and never playing!

Heh - I could go on forever.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:54:00 PM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Oh my God, that was 17 years ago? I remember renting that video soooo many times and I had the poster on my wall. I got to see them in concert and LOVED it. I still love them. I'm old!

Sunday, April 03, 2005 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

"Lumber up, limbo down...
I say go, she says yes
Dim the lights, you can guess the rest"

Sunday, April 03, 2005 10:26:00 PM  
Anonymous mike p**m said...

Favorite scene from Mode 101: The tryouts. Definately. Seeing all those goofy 80's dances. Not that I'm poking fun ... cause there are still people who haven't grown out of the "sprinkler" dance.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 5:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Rufus said...

Gosh, there is a great deal of worthwhile material above!
iheater 1500 | bakepops | rip 60

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home