Wednesday, May 18, 2005

hammer time

I know my way around a hardware store, I've been going to them for architecture materials for over 15 years. Some stores are great, and some are awful. Today I went to both ends of the spectrum.

First, we went to a contractor's store, i.e. all men, but the salesguy was such a fucker, condescending and rude, I couldn't take it. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I'm an idiot, there's no need to talk to me that way. He even said, "I hope I'm not coming off as rude." I was so close. Close to saying, "Look dickhead..." but I held my tongue and quickly got the hell out of there.

Cut to the holiest of holy of hardware stores, B&B on Washington. Just pulling into the parking lot I thought I heard angels singing. It's dirty and raggedy and wonderful. The sales staff know more than anyone on the planet, when it comes to what you need. Not to mention, they saw that I knew what I was talking about, treated me with total respect, and also did nice 'girl' things for me, like carry heavy shit to my car without even asking.

My father-in-law noticed that the guy in the paint department seemed to take a liking to me, so instead of asking himself, he said, "Go get your friend to get us this," "Go get your friend to give us free stuff." Good lord, I felt like I was being pimped out. Sure, I smiled more than usual, but only because they know their stuff and being around people that know what they're talking about, makes me crazy happy.

And yes, I got free paint sticks. No, I did not bat my eyelashes. What can I say?
.

3 Comments:

Anonymous mipmup said...

was the rude guy at ace on pch in hermosa by chance? if it's any consolation, they are rude to my husband, too. i won't go in there anymore. i'm craving a hardware store trip; might just have to make it to b&b.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 9:15:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

That is hilarious that you said ACE, cause I went to an ACE today (not that one) as well, and the guy THERE was super super nice.

I was sick and frowny and he was like, "You need to be happy, but I don't think I have anything here to help you." Ha. Very sweet.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger Shiz said...

I LOVE B&B.. hole in the wall, next to Pacos Tacos... but you're absolutely right... they always treat you with the best of respect.

I work with computers. Of course, when they see a short asian girl they stereotype me as the dumbass and my bf as the nerd (that part is true) so I go through the same thing when we are in Best Buy and Frys. I want to say "I know this shit, probably better than you" as they are telling me the pros/cons to something by saying how "cute" it is, etc.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home