Monday, May 30, 2005

Let me take you on a trip
around the world and back

It was ROQ of the 90's weekend on KROQ. It was slightly surreal to hear those songs on the radio as I was driving about, this holiday Monday. I felt like I was in a time machine. Even more so when I was in Hollywood and saw a sign saying that Peter Murphy was playing next month.

All those songs took me back. Back to when GIRLS like ME, pulled on our black knee highs and Doc Martens and went to concerts every weekend. When we saturated our brains with all the new music, and scoured thrift stores for cute clothes. When we spent all our free time in the record stores or looking for cute boys who liked the same bands as we did. That's what we did.

And what happened to all the rockin' girl bands of the 90's? Why aren't there any nowadays? Don't say Gwen Stefani, because when your lyrics simply spell out the word B-A-N-A-N-A-S, you're out of ideas, bitch.

It was nice to be able to sing along to EVERY SONG on the radio. I almost felt 16 again. Until I saw an actual 16 year old and thought, that's ok, I don't want to go back. I'm fine being a reflective 30 year old, thanks.
.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Church said...

Jenn:
Sleater-Kinney
El Tigre
Cat Power
etc.

You can hate me later for being pedantic.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:06:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Right, but when was the last time you heard Sleater-Kinney on the radio, is what I'm saying.

I heard more girl bands this weekend than I have in years.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger Giao said...

Ooooh! 90s weekend?! It sounds like a dream. I accidentally caught a substitute DJ on the college station here a few weeks back, and he was of our time, playing all the shoegazer hits. I was smitten. And now I can't find his show again. =(

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh how I love the ROQ weekends. So much fun. I missed it this weekend, though, b/c I've been spending too much time avoiding the radio. So disappointing lately, don't you think?

So did you see the commercial yet?! You're missing out, girl!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home