Thursday, June 09, 2005

7 letter word for nerdy

My brother and I watched "Word Wars- a look at the world of competitive Scrabble." It was interesting, kinda pathetic, and damn entertaining, considering.

I love playing Scrabble, but I can never find anyone to play with. I used to play all the time with my grandpa before he lost his eyesight, but everyone else I know can't stand the game. I found some online Scrabble 'type' games, but they're not the same. I don't really enjoy playing with strangers and it's more fun to have the board right in front of you.

This movie was slightly scary, when you realize HOW MUCH these players were into it. Most of them didn't have jobs, and devoted all of their free time to playing...Scrabble. Obsessive? Definitely. They also made their living doing it, how you can afford to live off Scrabble, I'm still not understanding. Also there was a huge absence of women in the tournaments. In the end, the winner seemed to garner tons and tons of fame, of course, that was among...other...Scrabble players.

I thought the movie was entertaining, then again, I thought "Spellbound" was hilarious.

My brother said they should have subheaded the movie: "Scrabble: It's all about the money and the bitches."
.

8 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

We'll have to set you up with Hank ....he's likes Scrabble too. He even read the book Word Freak!

And even I watched Spellbound a couple of months ago -- Hank was showing it to his classes! Pretty darn amazing those kids!

Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:18:00 AM  
Blogger foodiechickie said...

I love Scrabble. My husband and I play it on occasion. He's very competitive about it though. LOL. His mom and brother love playing against one another.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:47:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

You really should see Mad Hot Ballroom. It's like Spellbound but with dancing! Really cute. :)

Thursday, June 09, 2005 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Giao said...

Monkey, Lizzie, and I like scrabble. They like it a lot more than I do, but we all play when we're together for any extended period of time.

So if we ever meet up, we can do that.

=)

Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always all about the money and the bitches.
-kat

Thursday, June 09, 2005 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger B2 said...

I, too, love Scrabble -- but also jhave no one to play with (wife is a horrid speller). Have you read the Stefan Fatsis book on competitive Scrabble? It's great!

Thursday, June 09, 2005 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger DougBot said...

That film is really interesting--it reminds me a bit of the story in A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again where David Foster Wallace watches a really good tennis player.

He realizes that the pros play at a whole other level than most people.

Word Wars (and the Fatsis book that inspired it) mostly taught me that I will never ever enjoy Scabble as it's played in tournaments.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:18:00 PM  
Anonymous c.beans said...

I hate scrabble - don't you dare post that picture.

lol - it's not that I hate scrabble - I LOVE it...I'm just not good at it. *sigh*

Monday, June 13, 2005 1:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home