Saturday, June 18, 2005

Bat-astic


I will only go to the movies if I hedge my bets that the movie is going to be worth it. First of all paying $11-$14 for a ticket is a killer. Also, against my protests, Kyle insists we go to the largest theater with the loudest THX on earth. Leaving me clutching my head and fearing permanent brain damage to my unborn child.

These things aside, we went to see Batman Begins, and it was fantastic. Maybe the best Batman movie? Maybe. I never really cared for the Tim Burton movies that much, the man is, well, freaky. Which was very evident when they showed the preview for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Now, I love that movie, and I will be seeing this one, but...it's sooo Tim Burton. Yeesh. Johnny Depp with a pageboy haircut? That ups the freak factor right there.

As far as this movie, I thought it covered the life of Bruce Wayne to Batman nicely. When my brother was 6 he had a Batman outfit complete with plastic utility belt. The belt and it's use always intrigued me, and this movie pretty much covered how the whole thing went together. I also was a fan of the visuals for the trains and the bridges of Gotham. Great architecture.

I'm a big Gary Oldman fan, and thought he was so very good. Katie Holmes really surprised me because ever since she and Tom Cruise started eating Dianetics for breakfast (doesn't that sounds like a cereal?), I thought she was a little bit too hyped. But she wasn't bad. I may have developed a slight crush on Dr. Crane, Cillian Murphy. He is like a cute Tom Welling except about 100 pounds too skinny and short for my taste.

After the final scene Kyle turned to me and said, "Did you notice Katie Holmes' nipples? It was distracting..."
Uh, no. I'm sure all the other men in the audience did. However, I was concentrating on poor Bruce's angst and not getting the girl and how lonliness defines his character, thanks.
Although I did wonder why you would wear a white silk shirt out to walk amongst the firey ruins of Wayne Manor, but I now I know. To show off your nipples. Lovely.
.

3 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

I really liked Batman Begins.. thought it was the best out of all the Batman movies (though the others weren't much to be compared to).

And the last scene of Katie Holmes, the comment from my husband was, "DAMN! SOMEBODY IS COLD!"

Monday, June 20, 2005 9:26:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Funny that you should write about King Tut and then Batman. Last week we were driving near downtown. Brent saw an ad for King Tut on the Staples Center marquee. He said, "I wanna see King Tut." And then I immediately said, "I wanna see Batman." :-)

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

i saw batman begins too and loved it, but i am a fan of the very first one. i know this one was really good because i have absolutely no recollection of katie holmes's nipples and i usually point that kind of stuff out (no pun intended...)

Friday, June 24, 2005 1:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home