Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Pimp My Ride

It's summertime (sort of). Time to plan your vacations. I have worked on and visited a lot of theme parks. People always ask me about them, so here's some info, only my own opinion, of course.

The best theme park? Hands down:
Tokyo Disney Seas
That thing cost 2.5 BILLION and it shows. Visually it's spectacular. It's truly beautiful, considering it's a theme park. And, seeing as how it's in such a well oiled machine of a city, transportation is easy. Just get on the subway (Disney themed out, of course) and your stop is right there. Makes you want to throw your SUV away and move to a city with decent public transport. Wait, give up my car? Never.

The best coaster?
The HULK - Universal Islands of Adventure
I rode it twice in a row and got good and sick, always a good sign for a coaster, I suppose. I like how the add says, "Feel the RAGE." More like feel the nausea. It's a good nausea, though.

The best ride? It's a tie. To date, I still say
The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
- Universal Islands of Adventure
That ride is, well, AMAZING. So brilliantly done, all rides should live up to this standard. The vehicles, how the screen as well as the 3D, engages the rider, it's all done so perfectly. And if you love Spidey, well all the better for you.

Soarin' Over California- Disney's California Adventure
Is also extremely well done, especially if you know the correct row to sit in. (Front row, middle seat) The "feel of flight" is very real, and if you don't get sick from the "smell-o-vision" it's an interesting touch. Of course, regarding this ride, I am totally, unapologetically, biased.

**Now, they've redone Space Mountain for Disneyland's 50th anniversary, it's supposed to be back to the good old days of a true, fast, dark ride, except now...there's techo music. YEAH, I'm sure Walt loved him some techno. I have yet to ride it cause dammit, "Expectant mothers should not ride." Good thing they post that or else the queues would be filled with women about to go into labor. Right.

The best themed land? Also a tie:
Again give it up for Universal
(even if they wouldn't hire me, the suckers)
Suess Landing - Universal Islands of Adventure
It is literally as if you've walked into a Theodor Suess Giesel book. It's so real, even down to the kiosk that sells "Green Eggs & Ham" - how cute is that? Of course, I happened to go with someone who wasn't born in this country and therefore had never heard of these books and he thought the whole thing was a crock. I think he just wanted to go back on the Hulk Coaster. But, if YOU love and remember Dr. Suess, it's worth a look.

Animal Kingdom - Walt Disney World, Florida
Again, so nicely done. If you don't want to get the necessary vaccinations to go to the Serengeti, take the kids to FLORIDA. Yeah, well, no one said it was perfect, but you can safely see lions and rhinos up close and not get killed. I still say it'd be funny if we found out they were all animatronic, but whatever. The land itself, is tricked out safari style, the centerpiece being a giant man-made tree, that cleverly houses a ride. The whole park meshes well within it's safari theme.

Best Kid's Theme Park?
Legoland California
Again, you could say I'm biased, HOWEVER, it was not until after I worked on their parks that I had kids, and can I say, I really appreciate how slow and boring everything is. Do you know what I'm saying? It's definitely not for adults, ride-wise, but there is so much for little ones to enjoy, it's just, well, pleasant. There are lot of cool Lego exhibits, which I found just astounding to look at, seeing as how I love detail. Full cities, people, characters, all made out of Lego, now that's cool.

I know, I know, since there's mostly mention of Disney and Universal, I'm playing favorites, but frankly, others don't compare when it comes to giving you a good ride and a good themed out queue. I do love "Superman - the Escape" ride at Six Flags magic Mountain, but waiting in line for two hours for a 30 second ride is not worth writing about. The Superman rides at the other Six Flags parks are much better, as you get more ride for your money.

Hope these suggestions help for your theme park enjoyment.
.

9 Comments:

Anonymous c.beans said...

have you been back to Florida since we went a loooong loooong time ago? I agree - the Spiderman ride was the best theme wise! I loved it!

Hulk - it was nuts - very good coaster I agree.

I don't remember if the Green Eggs and Ham kiosk actually sold the food - I remember I wanted it but couldn't get it for some reason. :(

Anyhoo - thanks for the walk down memory lane...at least for me. hehe

dude - the free tortillas at Disney California Adventure in Anaheim...they taste sooo good when you're starving! We went twice hoping the second time around the guy didn't recognize us. haha.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Jenn,
I HATED Tokyo Disney. Or maybe I just hated Japan. Can't remember. Blocked it out.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Also, I'm not sure if Tokyo Disney has that clam chowder you like. :)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Yeah, one more comment:

Disney = good...if you DON'T take your kid on Mission Space. I almost died on it; can't imagine taking a tot on with me.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:26:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Um - someone DID die on it. And what didn't you like about Tokyo Disney?

Besides the fact that everything was in Japanese and I couldn't understand anything. It was worse for me because people THOUGHT I WAS Japanese.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My military youth means I can actually pretty accurately tell my asian friends origins pretty accurately. Not always tho...It's been a while.

I just remember loving the Kings Island Coney Dogs and after more than a decade....getting them again - Just as I remembered! I wonder if they're still there.
-kat

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:27:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Kat,
I'm asian -- and if you lined up a bunch of asians and asked me to tell you what race each one was...I'd fail. I have no idea.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's ok. I seem to fail these days more than before.

Anyway, I have problems with latinos and I am one of those:). Spanish for the records.
-kat

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Jenn,
I KNOW someone died on it. It's very sad.
Also, at Japan Disney, we were a group of 5 blondes...and people there stopped. And pointed at us. And stared. And laughed. And took our photos. I felt like an animal at the zoo.
And the lines were really really long.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 5:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home