Sunday, June 05, 2005

You're so money and you don't even know it!

Remember in Swingers when the girl was more attractive for living in a 310 area code instead of the 818 Valley code?
Yeah. That's real.

Now the powers that be are thinking of adding an overlay code - that is another area code before the area code - before your phone number, simply because there aren't as many 310's to go around.

This overlay thing isn't new, it's done in New York and Atlanta, both major cities with large populations. However, I doubt any of those residents would cry themselves to sleep at the loss of the blessed area code.

In Los Angeles, the 310 is the holy grail for some reason. There are even companies that will sell you a 310 code. This is because if you live on the Westside, suddenly, you're "somebody." Actors, agents, they all feel they get more respect, rather that with an 818 (Valley), 714 (the O.C.) or the dreaded of them all, the 909.

The 310 covers the beach, to Beverly Hills and the whole Southbay. That is - it extends to where we live. Do I care if it eventually changes? Not really. The only reason I don't want to lose my area code, is simply because it's a pain in the ass. Do you know how many services and things I'll need to change?
Ugh. The thought.

Well. If the overlay plan goes through, that means you'll have to dial 11 numbers just to reach me.
Don't bother. I probably won't answer.
.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Funny you mention that b/c I was just reading about that.

And as a Westsider (I will always be one, even if I'm living in Timbucktoo!) I was a tad peeved when I had to relinquish the "213" for the "310."

I swear that "310" is part of one's identity. I swear it is!! Stupid, I know. I enjoyed being a "310" and a "90230."

....and now sadly, I'm a suckass "562." At least I'm not an "805."

This is entirely too much like Seinfeld's The Maid episode. Doncha think?

Sunday, June 05, 2005 11:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even this hick feels your pain. I had to give up my ac after 20 years. Right now they have enough new prefixes that are local that I don't know - I don't trust them. But I think we're still a long way from the pre-area code level. I wouldn't answer either.
-kat

Monday, June 06, 2005 6:48:00 PM  
Blogger MK said...

New Yorkers are not happy with the overlay. The 212 area code still means a lot to people.

Monday, June 06, 2005 6:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home