Friday, December 16, 2005

Everyone around me is a total stranger

Who is crazy enough to get up and stand in line at the grand opening of a new Japanese market, before 9am? Crazy ass Japanese senior citizens that's who. Oh. And me. Hi. I'm lame.

Seriously, I was the only one there under 60 years old. There were a lot of specials, such as 60 cent eggs, and nori (seaweed) for 78 cents. There was also...drumroll...Beard Papa cream puffs. Which, after all the hype I've heard - yeah, they're pretty darn tasty.

I was standing with my kid, when this guy with a huge video camera on his shoulder approached us and started going off in Japanese. After I stared at him blankly, he said in English, "Interview?" I told him I was sorry but I didn't speak Japanese. He looked disappointed, so he nodded and left. I'm sure we were approached because my son and I were the only young people in the damn store. How funny would it have been if I just faked answers to his foreign language interview? Ok. It wouldn't be funny at all. Except to me. I'd be laughing. But then I'm evil like that.


.

4 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

OMG those cream puffs look good! I'm actually drooling.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:11:00 AM  
Anonymous myra said...

Mmmm, beard papa! Have you had the strawberry ones?

The Marukai stores here are just like that. I think you have to be 60 just to get membership. The parking lot is always an adventure with a hundred senior citizens trying to park their cars.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Rokes said...

Mmm...we just had a Beard Papa's last night! Since we got there close to closing, they only had the flava of the week left - caramel. The thought of it didn't sound so good, but when we saw that it wasn't actually brown caramel, we got one. It was SO good! It's just like the vanilla bean one, but with a slight caramel flavor. Can't wait to try the green tea one! ;)

Monday, December 19, 2005 11:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

So so glad you've finally come over to the Beard Papa side of life! It's so much better over here. and all the kinds are delicious... we had pumpkin with our Thanksgiving dinner (the folks in from Ohio weren't too excited about that, but we had regular vanilla for them). I highly recommend the green tea as well.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home