Monday, January 16, 2006

Love you boy, till I fall
The child in me again, he plays the fool

Two years ago today, I went into labor and became a mommy. It's weird. I still don't feel like a mom. I know I am an excellent wife, but a mom, I dunno, not so much. I do my best, but I don't think that's quite good enough. Still, here I am. And now a mother of two, no less!

When do you become comfortable in your role as a mother? When you hear the words, "MOMMYYYY!" being yelled across a department store and just 'know' that you're being called? Or when you start not caring about touching another person's poo? Maybe it's when you don't care if the whole world sees your boob, just as long as your infant will stop crying?

Perhaps it's when you've played toy trains for two hours and not even realized what time it is. Or when you give up your meal and end up eating chicken nuggets instead. Or maybe, just maybe, it's when your Kid says, "I love Mommy," and nestles his head on your chest as he falls asleep.

I think it's the last one. Despite my doubts, the Kid is alive and well, and seems to be a-ok. I've never felt so much love. Happy birthday, kiddo.
.

10 Comments:

Blogger foodiechickie said...

Lovely post. Happy Birthday to your eldest!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:00:00 AM  
Anonymous laureg said...

i love your blog, and this is the first time i've come out of the woodwork to leave a comment.

i think the fact that you care enough to even consider these questions makes you an excellent mom!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:26:00 AM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

What a nice post. Happy Birthday Kid #1.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:14:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Happy Birthday!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous myra said...

I think its when you have the 6th sense to know from the living room that your son is about to flush his underwear down the toilet.

Happy Birthday #1 son!

And you're absolutely an excellent mom.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Sweet. Happy Birthday to your older son. My mom always said she should get gifts on our birthdays for carrying and delivering and mothering us and you know...I think I'll send her flowers this year on my birthday!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Happy birthday, Kid! :)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you & Kid1!
-kat

I think for me it didn't really kick in til he was older and I could look back. But then again, I really was a bad mom...

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:26:00 PM  
Blogger SouthernMom said...

Happy B-day Kiddo! I started reading your site a few days before he was born. It's amazing how fast time flies, but I guess you know that!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:19:00 PM  
Anonymous judi said...

Haven't visited here in a while. Two years old? Wow. Happy Birthday

For me the Mom thing hit early. The first moment I saw my eldest. This little child came through me and was absolutely perfect.

Mike looked up at me with his great big eyes. I was in love in an instant. From then on, if someone asked me who i was the first thing that came to me was; "I am a mom." It was what I had been waiting to be all my life.

Pretty corny, I guess. But true nevertheless.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home