Saturday, March 11, 2006

Free, free, set them free

Today is my Grandpa's 89th birthday. He sent me a 'message' via O.G., that being: "Don't visit me. Don't come over. And definitely do not bring me cake." Fine. Screw you old man. Unless he was playing some sort of reverse psychology on me...hmmm. Oh well. His 'no cake-having ass' will never find out.

Instead I will tell you of the long standing debate I've had with a friend of mine over the fact that I feel that Sting, well...sucks now. How's that for an expertly analyzed description?

There are two albums of his which I feel are just beyond brilliant, that being Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like the Sun. Those were when Sting was truly fresh and had something to say. As opposed to everything afterwards which just screams 'dentist office muzak' to me.

Dream of the Blue Turtles was his first solo release and one of my favorite records. It spoke a lot about the breakup of the Police, while still being telling, pointed and of course self obsessed*. (*See: my love of Robbie Williams.) It was an excellent mix, a sort of jazzy pop, that was removed from the Police, but still stayed close to it. If that makes sense. Basically a really good first step as a solo release.

'Nothing' was his sophomore album, and those, well sometimes fall flat. However this one held it's own. "Englishman in New York" I could just listen to over and over. Even with the new arrangement on his 'best of cd.' Yes, I bought the 'best of cd' despite having that annoyingly overplayed 'Fields of Gold' song on there. Good lord, I can't hit 'next' on the iPod fast enough.

Why am I discussing my old skool Sting love? Well, cause I got nothin' else, people. Nothing else. Tune in next week for a cupcake recipe or something.
.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I kind of know what you mean. I haven't even bought his last several albums and I've always been a huge Police/Sting fan. I clearly remember where I was (upstairs hallway, between classes, junior high) when I found out The Police had broken up. I had a hard time not crying through my next class.

I still love him, even if his music does now suck.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 1:24:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I really like his Fields of Gold album. I haven't really heard any of his new stuff.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:58:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

It's that tantric sex.

My mom likes fields of gold. nuf said.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 5:48:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Yes, yes! The rest is just crap. Wasn't he the one who said that most people only have like three albums in them when the Police broke up?

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger ren said...

so, who was it exactly that put the "brit" in celebrity?

yeah, i got a love for the early sting. but i gotta say that "soul cages" really grew on me over time.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger will said...

Soul Cages is excellent. He still had something to say.

My favorite solo Sting moment comes late in the film BRING ON THE NIGHT where he and his new band play "I Burn For You." Man, that's good.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 1:20:00 AM  
Blogger bRuiner said...

We will have words!

Monday, March 13, 2006 5:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never commented before, but...

I call him "Stink" these days.

Loved "Dream..." and "Bring on the night" was an entertaining vanity project, but after that, his big ego gets in the way.

Too bad, The Police are still one of my all time fav's.

Call me T. Primo. I found you thru Will @ Be The Boy. Thanks for the entertainment.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home