Sunday, March 12, 2006

Kiss me goodbye when I'm on my own, but you know that I'd rather be home

More music, and questions!

When Oprah speaks, the world listens, for better or worse. Today I watched her tout James Blunt and all his English charm. He told the backstory of "You're Beautiful." How he was on the subway and saw his ex-girlfriend, sitting with her new boyfriend. Their eyes locked, and their world became one for that brief second. Then he never saw her again. Oh so heartbreaking. If I was a girlie girl, I'd tear up a little. Um, maybe I did. Anyway, that chick must be embarrassed since the whole album is about her, and how desperately he loves/loved her.

There are some songs that you 'feel' in just the right way. "Question of Lust" by Depeche Mode. I can listen to it quietly, while I fall asleep. Or loudly while singing it at the top of my voice. So, since I got nothin', (as I said before) I'm passing the buck on to you. Hey, I can't do all the work around here. I ask you, what song makes your heart ache?
.

6 Comments:

Blogger ren said...

um.."bell bottom blues" it...makes me cry. and oddly connected to your earlier post "little wing" but any of the versions will do. i think i like clapton the best but when i heard sting sing it in concert it hit me hard. that doen't make me lame, does it?

Sunday, March 12, 2006 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'll be a follower (as I usually am) and connect to the last post too. "Fragile" gets me, especially when Sting sang it a few weeks after the events of Sept. 11, 2001. There was some thing on tv, he sang it and got a bit choked up and it was so fitting and so emotional.

Another one is "The Lighthouse's Tale" by Nickel Creek. It's from the point of view of the lighthouse and the lighthouse keeper who commits suicide. It really got me when I saw the band perform it with the Hollywood Bowl orchestra. Egads!

Oh, and just to be a total dork...sometimes "Save a Prayer" gets me, as does "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)"--a cover Duran Duran did. I bought a bootleg cd with it and popped it in and burst into tears...memories I guess.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:06:00 AM  
Blogger mipmup said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger mipmup said...

[oops, got one song title wrong before]

don't laugh at me:
"the beautiful ones," prince
"sea of love," the honeydrippers
"someone like you," van morrison

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Being the self-proclaimed and reminded-by-Ren dork that I am, I have one to add!

"Mandy" by Barry Manilow. I loved that song when I was a kid. I've heard it's about a dog he had, which makes it even sadder to me (because I am sick that way). I'm not sure if the dog story is true or an urban myth though.

Monday, March 13, 2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger JetPass said...

I'm a softie.

I can't make you love me, Bonnie Raitt (I will almost always stop what I'm doing to listen to it.)
It's your love, Tim McGraw & Faith. (my ex-husband used to dance in the moonlight with me when I was pregnant and play that song)
When she cries at night

any diana krall song, and lastly
Have you ever loved somebody so bad, by Def Leppard

Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home