Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Painful to me, pierce right through me

I haven't felt this bad in a really, really long time. Today I had the worst migraine. For those of you who don't get them, or can't imagine what they feel like - f*ck you. There is nothing worse in the world, not even childbirth. There, I said it. The last time I had one, I was working, and pregnant. My boss - ever the sympathizer - told me to 'go to the car for an hour and sleep it off.' Lovely.

Migraines are hereditary. Which is just great. I can remember back to my childhood, and my mother lying in bed for days. Cut to me suffering the same fate, years later. When you get one, there's no stopping them. You have a sensitivity to light, smell, touch, everything. It is also why I don't drink, and don't smoke. They are also stress related, which is why I frequently got them every week in college.

It is also why I always wear sunglasses when I go out. Not to look cool, I don't need sunglasses for that - *wink*, but because just the tiniest bit of sunlight piercing my retina can ruin my day.

After much puking and sleeping, a migraine will eventually go away on it's own. It's just that much harder to take care of when you have two kids.

I put the baby in the playpen, instructed the Kid to "make sure your brother doesn't die." Then I passed out on the ground. I woke up and hour later to the Kid poking my face saying, "mommy wake up!". This is why they are not readying a plaque with my name on it for mother of the year.
.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

That sucks, Jenn. I don't think I have actually migraines, but I've had headaches for the past several days, with only slight breaks in between. Stress/possibly sinus related is my guess. My husband get migraines and it is awful. Hang in there. Someday your kids will look back on days like this and laugh.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:13:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

I get those sunlight related migraines too, even with sunglasses on. I don't know what I'm going to do if my kid decides to take up an outdoor sport.

Hope you feel better soon.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:56:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Ohh, Jenn. Sounds like you have a bad case of it. Mine are much more minor. Have you tried Imitrex or Relpax?

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Carol said...

Oh, you poor thing! It's really irritating when other people think that migraines are just like any ol' headache. Grr!!! Lucky for me though, my doctor gets migraines, too, so he's always been interested in mine, and he's prescribed a few things for me to try. I've been taking Topamax for a few weeks now to see if that will help to prevent them. There was a really odd adjustment period of about 5 days, but it does seem to be working. Good luck to you, Jenn.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:46:00 AM  
Blogger foodiechickie said...

You just described me. Imitrex does not work for me. Only sleep.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:01:00 AM  
Blogger Victoria Winters said...

Sorry! :(
I hope it goes away soooooon!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

"make sure your brother doesn't die."

I'm so glad I can enjoy your humor. :)

And so sorry to hear about those migraines -- that is the worst. I went through a phase when I had cluster migraines all the time. Vomiting and dizziness = no fun.

Hope you're on the mend soon.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Wow! I hope you're feeling better!

And I love that "make sure your brother doesn't die" game.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger ComfortablyCrazy said...

I so totally understand what you had to go through. I too suffer from migranes, my first was in 7th grade. You are not the only one to pass out on the floor due to the dizzying pain and nausea. Add to the mix vertigo and nothing that will take away the pain and you've got a living breathing hell. Luckily my girls are 4 1/2 years apart so my almost 8 can take care of my almost 3 1/2. This means they eat cookies, microwave popcorn, cereal with or without milk, and string chese. But hey, at least thery're not starving.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home