Monday, April 10, 2006

Everything's Gone Green

I usually avoid roll cakes. They are a pain in the ass - I know this from years and years of making Buche de Noel cakes for Christmas. However, some weird inspiration hit, and I suddenly was in a roll cake frenzy.

This is typically known as a jelly roll cake, cause, well there's jelly in it. Of course. Instead, I made the sponge cake using 'matcha powder' also known as green tea powder. It gives the cake a sickly green tinge, but don't let that stop you. I've seen this done here, but always one to avoid too many steps, I figured out a way easier recipe and instead, filled it with green tea's best friend: 'An' or sweetened red azuki bean.

See, green tea and azuki bean go together like..like..ebony and ivory?...Batman and Robin? How about peas n' carrots - except tastier.

And this cake is super simple to roll, which believe me, can be a problem if proper steps are not taken. It's a lot simpler than it sounds. You can see each step on the recipe page. I make those recipe pages, by the way, to prove that it's a lot easier to make things when you see each step. If you only see the final product, you have no idea how to get there. At least this way, you know, 'hey, it's supposed to look like that.' Eh, who knows. You probably don't care anyway. Like my friend told me, 'Just make it. I'll eat it.'

Matcha Roll Cake recipe.

.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I'd be willing to taste it. Sounds yummy!

Monday, April 10, 2006 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home