Monday, May 15, 2006

A year has passed since I wrote my note

Gosh, do I love drive thrus. Not because I'm fat and lazy, which I am, but that has nothing to do with this story. I never used drive-thrus before. I didn't eat a lot of fast food, and if I did, I just walked in. Still, that's not EVEN the kind of drive-thru I am talking about!

In L.A. we have drive-thrus for everything. I never noticed them - until I needed them. With two kids, you must be mad-crazy if you think I'm going to strap them in, take them out, then strap them back in. Hello, that's like massive time wasted right there. Instead, I'll just get all my errands done without ever turning off the car.

Bank? Drive-thru. Pharmacy? Drive-thru. Starbucks? Drive-right-on-thru. Dry cleaners? You got it.

As with all drive thrus, there is a little bit of a wait time. While idling at Starbucks today, I noticed the store next door had a new sign. This is why I should not be given a cameraphone. I am a self appointed member of the Grammar Police.* Bad grammar is our sworn enemy that we fight to banish from this planet. Or...we'll just take pictures of it and laugh mockingly, either or. Wanna join?

Whatever, this is what I saw today. No less than two grammatical errors, one of which was repeated.**
So. Annoying.


*Grammar Police is totally my new band name and we will be playing with Scrantonicity next week at the Troubadour, thanks for asking.
**I do realize that 'till' is sometimes used in place of 'til' but that is still wrong in my book since the root word, 'until' has only one 'l'.
.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rokes said...

Ha, ha!! We are so alike sometimes! Yesterday we were at "the big fancy Japanese department store in the mall" and we were at the udon/ramen stand in the food court. I noticed a word spelled wrong, and as I was about to take a picture of it, the man behind the counter said, "No pictures inside shop". Damn, these are times when I wish I had a camera phone! By the way, the word was spelled "vegitables". What else gets me about these places is that somewhere else in the menu, it's spelled CORRECTLY! WTF?

Monday, May 15, 2006 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

May I be a deputy in your grammar police force? Oh, and I agree with you on 'til.' Only one 'L.'

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 1:55:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

ARGH! I'm with you. One of my biggest pet peeves is the overuse of apostrophes. Wait, apostrophe's. Heh, heh. I actually called a local business once and told them that their name was incorrect (their name is Tradicione's).

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:51:00 AM  
Blogger will said...

Grammar is a big deal for me, too. I used to be terribly annoyed by the usage of "till" but I read in a couple excellent usage guides that "till" is generally acceptable. I still don't use it myself, but I've gotten easier on others who do.

But the apostrophe thing is inexcusable. It's like those people who add an "s" to proper nouns where they don't even exist. (Lucky's, Barnes & Noble's, Safeway's...) Drives me crazy.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Leah said...

Welcome to my life. But hey, at least I get paid for it, right?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger bRuiner said...

99 ranch must be hell for you :-)

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:06:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

alot is the one that bug's me the most. As in "that's alot of tomatos".

hehe, did that on purpose. But I must drive you crazy since I don't spell check in real life.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Drive-thru dry cleaners rock!
****
I get bugged about the quotations marks. Like, come over for a "fun" time. Or eat some "snacks." Or we have "clean" bathrooms (I saw that on a sign. . .really I did!)

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Lezzlie. You are "AWESOME."

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

There's a restaurant in Venice called Thomas' Restaurant, but on the side of the building it says Thoma's. I cringe everytime I drive by.

You'd never survive in San Luis Obispo, by the way. There are no drive-thrus in the city.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Stan said...

Heh. Can I join the Grammar Police? Can we break down doors and stuff?

Here's a sign from 99 Ranch for your amusement:

http://www.1134.org/blog/images/feminality.jpg

And another funny sign:

http://www.1134.org/gallery/signs/aad

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home