Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Gob: There's not a lot of logic to it. It's kind of like on a boat with "Women and children first." I mean, why should they...

I don't like strangers holding my kids. If it's family or close friends, I have no problem. We went to a party at my aunt's this weekend and this woman, who I didn't know, kept saying to the Kid, "Gosh you're SO CUTE. SO CUTE." After the 5th time, she simply scooped him up and walked around with him. Granted, I am in the process of trying to break the Kid of the whole clingy-mommy-only thing right now, but this is not how I'd like to do it. I just find it extremely rude and inappropriate for someone to pick up my kid without asking. I don't know you, lady. All I'm saying is - ask first. Who knows, maybe I'll say sure, take him home, keep him. But most likely the answer is NO.

It's not jealousy, it's the not asking that is the issue. It is usually always a woman who does NOT have kids who is the main violator of this rule. Maybe it's because only a mother would know that feeling...you know, that feeling where your chest tightens and there is this overwhelming sense of discomfort.

It's like when you're pregnant and people touch your belly without asking. I was a guilty of this - until I got pregnant. Then I realized how entirely inappropriate and what a violation of privacy it was. You think, 'Oh how cute, let me be a part of this experience and feel her tummy.' Guess what. It's still another person's body and you certainly wouldn't go up to someone else and grab their ass to feel how firm it is. Or would you? Ok, maybe you have problems.

All I'm saying is, don't touch other people's kids without asking. It took everything I had, not to beat that woman down and grab my Kid back from her. Hey, give me some credit, I have some decorum. Just back off, sister. And don't touch my ass, either.
.

10 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Winters said...

I agree with you 100%!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with ya sister. The other day at the mall, hubby and the baby were hanging out at the seating area. From the shoe store, I saw him talking to this older lady (imagine the snapple lady, but scarier). I saw her arms wide open. He was about to hand the baby over. I sprinted for dear life, swooped the baby mid-air, and walked away...nothing said.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I would never imagine it was ok to pick up someone's child without asking.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry. I posted the above about my leap.

val - mommyinterrupted.blogs.com

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

I had a lot of strangers grab my kids' feet or their cheeks but never pick them up. I can't even imagine. I'd have punched that beyotch.
Ugh, I totally agree with the belly rubbing. I hated that!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger ren said...

gah, i don't have kids and i have never been pregnant (not mutually exclusive there, you know) and that drives me crazy too! i have space issues anyway but man...why would anyone think that was ok? i wouldn't pet someone's dog without asking either. not that kids are the same as...ok, you know what i mean...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Yes. People have this urge to compare their pets to your children.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT OK.
It's maddening to a parent, seeing as how one day my child (hopefully) will drive me to the doctor's office, and your chihuahua will not. That's a whole other subject in itself...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:47:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

Oh come on Jenn. You can start telling people the Kid bites.

You notice Will didn't say anything about never imagining it was ok to grab your ass. Asking or not.

I have the opposite problem. People want me to hold their babies and I don't. I finally held one today but it was under duress.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Although I do consider my dogs "my kids," I would never compare them to human children. It is much, much different. I am emotionally attached to all of them, but I can leave them alone at home for 18 hours.

I also have to agree with Kat, I don't want to be expected to hold other people's babies. I think I've offended co-workers who have brought their babies to work since I don't grab for them like everyone else. No thanks.

And, not that it is the same at all, I get that, but I warn people who come to my home that I have 3 dogs and two of them will want to sit on their lap and be petted. If anyone objects to that, I lock the dogs away, no problem.

Kids, dogs, hamsters...not the same, but there is a decorum to be followed with all. And oh yeah, I have never touched a pregnant woman's belly...even when they've asked me to, I've refused...ick!

I may grab your ass though, even a boob, but only because I'm clumsy and sometimes do so unintentionally!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

right, if there's suspicious ass grabbing it's because I'm clumsy...yeah very clumsy.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 5:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home