Thursday, August 24, 2006

Fashion, it's just fashion!

Oh my god, what? Pants with suspenders are in? I should be getting the memo before these kinds of decisions are made so that I can stop things like this from happening. Wear them with a patent leather shoe and I will kill you with my cold stare. Speaking of fashion, the dry cleaners found my pants. Thank god. As I was about ready to hang from those rolling garmet racks and look for the damn things myself.

I went shopping with sko_G and he was eyeing a pair of Crocs. Even though I am an avid shoe fanatic, I am not a fan of these shoes. Perhaps it's the...circle pattern on the top of the shoe? HA! No, they just don't look comfortable to me, while, I know, comfort is the point of that shoe. Someone needs to explain the world's love of this footwear to me, cause I won't be jumping on this trend, that's all.

The most I have ever paid for shoes is...wait for it...$300. Yes, I know that is crazy, however, let me make my case. They were a pair of 2-1/2" heeled Coach boots that when I first put them on...fit like a glove. I had never felt anything that fit so perfectly on my body. They fit in all the right places, weren't uncomfortable and had the most perfect round toe you'd ever seen. I knew that they wouldn't be thrown in the back of the closet, so I waited, and waited, cause $300, well, that's just a massive amount of money.

Finally, I decided to get them. Good thing I did. They lasted about 10 years. That's wearing them every single day from October to January, and every other chance I could throughout the year. The insides are a little worn, but the soles...still perfect. They are still wearable but you can tell that they have seen better days. Sure, now they are in the back of the closet, and even though I got my $300 worth and more, I will never throw them away. So I'm wondering, what's the best "luxury-type" thing you have ever spent a lot of money on?
.

16 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

Mine would be the 780.00 I plopped down at the Neiman makeup counter -before my wedding. My sis made me take some of it back but I justified it as the money I would have spent if I got a professional to do my makeup. Okay, a really good professional, I guess.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

When I needed a heart transplant I paid extra in order to get a good one. I could have saved a few bucks and got the plastic one but nope I laid out the bucks.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Our condo. Our wedding photographers. Eh, those probably don't count.

And by the way, I HATE Crocs! Ugh. Those things are hideous, even if they are comfortable. Same thing with Uggs.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:49:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

$350 for my white satin Vera Wang wedding shoes. Ridiculous (you could barely see them under my gown), but so worth it. I still take them out of the box every now and then and we cuddle.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger SushiBoat76 said...

I tried on those stupid Croc shoes, and they're NOT comfortable. God, I can't stand them, they're so freaking ugly - and even with scrubs, they look dumb.
I spent $40 on a tiny bottle of shampoo, and after 2 washes, it gave me dandruff...ugh. And before getting conned into buying the shampoo, spent $100 on a haircut.
By the way, not sure when you bday is, but happy birthday anyway!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:40:00 PM  
Anonymous David said...

I'm all for expensive and lasting for ever - it's just a question of getting the cashflow sorted out. There was this one shirt by Paul Smith I got incredible mileage out of and I almost cried when it fell apart.

Friday, August 25, 2006 5:31:00 AM  
Blogger this charming man said...

when i was just out of college i spent almost $200 on a leather jacket. lots of money for a dumbass 22 year old waiting tables and working a $65/week music buisness "internship". but i wore that thing constantly for years and years. now the lining is ripped and there a re a couple of holes and the distressed light brown bomber look is a bit dated, but damn, it was great for a long time. and women loved it.

recently i spent $500 on a new camera, a canon powershot S3..and it's been well worth it...it's helped my photography immensely. especially as a complement to the ridiculous amount of money i spent to go to egypt and morocco. i defintiley wanted to get some great shots there, and i think i did ok.

Friday, August 25, 2006 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger this charming man said...

apparently i should spend some good money on typing and spelling classes. either that or stop drinking heavily before 9am.

Friday, August 25, 2006 8:57:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I can't think of a single thing and that makes me sad. I've already cried at work once today though, so I'm going to not think about this.

Friday, August 25, 2006 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger tadaahhh said...

uhm. you don't even want to know. shoes. jacket. my cars. oh wait, i can justify the car bit. oh - plastic surgery. wait, i haven't had that yet. but definitely my lasiks will have to take the cake.

Friday, August 25, 2006 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger mipmup said...

for a second, i thought you meant leggings with suspenders around the feet. remember those? i was expecting a link to american apparel or urban outfitters. whew. i'm not as traumatized by the actual pants suspenders. luxury items? hmmm. probably prada sunglasses.

Friday, August 25, 2006 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

my bags! -- i have a bag fetish -- biggest splurge was on a goyard -- but i used tax return refund money so i didn't feel bad...

Friday, August 25, 2006 8:47:00 PM  
Blogger My Little Corner said...

I paid $100 for a leather Eddie Bauer tote bag. Sure totes can be cheaper but I've had it at least 10 years and it looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it. It's black leather with tan trim and goes with everything. Sometimes it's even been my carry-on luggage.

Saturday, August 26, 2006 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Librarian said...

In pounds - £195 on my new glasses, which although not technically a luxury item they are my most fancy glasses ever. In dollars - $202 on a pair of fabulous black heels from Bloomingdales, they are fabulous, classic, will last forever and they go with everything. You just have to work out the cost per wear, takes the guilt out of any purchase!

Saturday, August 26, 2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger ren said...

hmmm...well, you'll not be surprised to hear that i spend more money to get the good booze than i do to get the good shoes...but birkenstocks run a close second to a good whisky.

Saturday, August 26, 2006 5:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home