Sunday, August 06, 2006

Obon

Once a year I go to church. And that's only for the carnival. Obon is a big deal in the summertime. All the churches have one. There is food, games and dancing. As a little girl my mom would make me dress up in a kimono and go dancing. I thought it was lame then. You know how hot those kimonos are to wrap around yourself when it's 95 degrees?

Even now, 25 years later (holy crap) I still see the same people. Eat the same food. And it's still good. Not just Japanese people go anymore either. EVERYONE goes, people of all different races and faiths were there. Hey man, a party's a party.

L.A. Japanese Americans are unique. We sell tamales at our church carnivals. Cause that's how we roll. Mexican style.

3 Comments:

Anonymous kat said...

Cracked me up for 2 reasons. 1) I'm eating tacos I made from a box and a packet. b) I don't really like tamales and I've helped make em enough to know I can't imagine putting that much labor into something so not tasty (to me). But it sound like you had fun.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger Victoria Winters said...

Love it! Keep rollin' Mexican style, baby! I love me some Mexican! :)

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger Rokes said...

Which one was this? I missed my local one...but I had better places to be last Saturday! (The Best Shower Ever!)

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home