Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Uh well, dance all night play all day,
don't let nothin' get in the way

Remember how I hate that part in Superman: The Movie, where there's an earthquake and Lois gets dirt in her mouth? Dirt in the mouth. Still my biggest fear.

So out here, we live in earthquake country. As kids we were taught pack earthquake preparedness kits, what to do and where to go in case of one, all that jazz. You go to the science museum out here and they have earthquake simulations, where people squeal and laugh as they get 'shaken up' - which is exceedingly stupid, as some of us, have lived through them and they are no fun at all, thanks.

So as the Kid goes off to daycare, I am given a list of things he needs to pack in a backpack and keep for one full year at the school. These earthquake kits are never opened, just stored in case of an emergency. It's a massive amount of things, and kind of a pain, but as I started packing it, I felt all weepy. Cause, if there is a natural disaster, he will be far away from me. Therefore he will need to eat spaghettios (disgusting to me), change his Spiderman underwear while clutching his fave monkey blankie and looking at a picture of me...all by his little 2 year old self. How freakin' heartbreaking is that? I just hope there's no dirt in my mouth at the time.

click for a detailed earthquake kit list

Yeah, yeah. Ignore my Christmas tablecloth in August, as I am lame. O.G. came over and said, "Well I can see it's Christmas... already." Shut it old lady.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Well, it's good to know that should an earthquake wipe out the adult civilization, a group of 2-year-olds will rule the world! We'll finally have nap time at work and the currency will be Oreos and Animal Crackers.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:22:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

Believe it or not, we live on a fault line so I've actually experience tremors. Not fun so I don't want to know about the full meal deal.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I think I'm supposed to have an earthquake kit at work, but I don't. I should because if one hits, due to where I work, I won't be allowed to leave. Ugh. I'm bringing in 3 pair of Wonder Woman panties tomorrow!!!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I think I'm supposed to have an earthquake kit at work, but I don't. I should because if one hits, due to where I work, I won't be allowed to leave for up to three days. Ugh. I'm bringing in 3 pair of Wonder Woman panties tomorrow!!!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous myra said...

Please send one of those kits over here. I just experienced my first intense earthquake last night and a monkie blankie would have helped calm me down.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I was starting to get all weepy reading your scenario if the big one hits.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Hey, are you discriminating against the spaghettios because they are like goopy polka dots?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home