Thursday, August 10, 2006

When life gives you lemons...

...squeeze them in your eyes, since you'll be crying all day anyway.

All I've been hearing all day is, "Wow. You've got an impressive resume. You're really qualified it's just that...well, you know how this field is. Flexible schedules just - aren't possible...for people with kids."

They should just say, for WOMEN. I get it. I do. In my field, a man rises to the top much quicker because he is able to pull the 60 hour work weeks required. Also, usually a wife, even if she is working, still bears the bulk of the responsibility of taking care of the kids.

I'm not asking for a lot. A 40-45 hour week, that's all. No one can give it to me. While my kids do drive me crazy, I don't want to not see them EVER, either.

I really don't think this day could get any worse. Oh wait! Yes it can! I put up a myspace page to get my designs out there, and it was a good thing I did! I found out that my robot cards that I thought up out of the clouded empty space that is my head...is already a taken - as in copyrighted - idea. Fabulous. I spoke to the guy that designed the Broken Heart Robot toy, and he couldn't be nicer. Good things will happen for him and his little robot, I know it. Meanwhile, all my robot designs have been taken down never to be seen again. It's just a crazy coincidence that we had the same ideas. All I can say is great minds think alike. So goodbye my little robots. I will miss you. Sad, indeed.
.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

First, I'm sorry to hear about the job situation. I hope you find an awesome place that is awesome to moms.

Second, what a strange coincidence about the robot? What if you gave your robot a different characteristic, like a broken toe, a sick sense of humor or bad breath?

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:51:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

Drowning Mona - When life hands you potatos, make potato salad.

I like what Nanette said. So much nicer than what I'd have said. I wonder how much you'd have to pay her for her robot ideas.

I had to get a myspace too. It seems to be the only way to learn about my music. I was way behind the Everclear curve.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Not to kick you when you're down, but my friend Phil has a similar sad robot design, too. But for the record, yours is way cuter than his. I still want a t-shirt.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 2:44:00 PM  
Blogger ren said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger ren said...

i don't get it, your art is a totally different medium and design. you can't copyright a concept like that, can you? talk to a lawyer. If he was nice to you maybe he will be open to a print only agreement or something.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

http://www.youyesyou.net/

This guy used to have some broken-hearted robots too. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

I still like you best, though.

Friday, August 11, 2006 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

So sorry about the jobhunt, I have issues too with the whole mommy working thing too.
About the robots, that was one cutie (yours I mean). Maybe you should think about the evil 'Zathura'-like one, huh?
Just kidding.

Friday, August 11, 2006 4:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Craig said...

I felt bad for Jenn as well as it was my lawyers who had brought this to my attention.

And yes, Ren, even if it is a different medium (though in this case it is not entirely different since besides the toy and upcoming TV show, I also make buttons, stationary and comics in relation to my character) if the character design, name AND likeness is Trademarked (not copyright) then ANY thing that looks or feels similar in ANY medium is a Trademark Infringement. My Broken Heart Robot™ is officially Trademarked and pending ® registraton.

In any case, justJenn is very talented and I will help her out in promoting her own designs in any way I can.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home