Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Michael:"Today, I got up, I stepped onto the grill, and it clamped down on my foot, that’s it. I don’t see what’s so hard to believe about that."

So I've been reading these stories that people sent in to Martha Stewart, telling about their "Worst Thanksgiving Ever." GOOD LORD. What is wrong with these people? Some things include burning down the house, carving a turkey and having the knife slip - slicing directly into their hand, a thief climbing into a child's bedroom window to go steal a turkey from the freezer, and finally - basting a turkey only to have their hair catch on fire. What in the...

Have you ever had such problems? I have never had a holiday as bad as those. The only 'incident' we had was the year that O.G. INSISTED that we have something green to eat on the table. She was so pushy about it that my cousin announced that we should all boycott O.G.s peas, just because she was so annoying. And we did. No one ate the peas. Oh how we laughed. I think she took all of us out of her Will that day, but dammit, it was worth it.
.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Well, last Thanksgiving...not so good. We went back East to go to Eric's 20th high school reunion. He was being pulled and pushed in many different directions by various family members and he spoke up, stating "I wouldn't even be here if I didn't have this reunion." Heated words ensued, siblings stomped out of the room, it was ugly. Everyone made nice in time to eat a gross dinner of undercooked turkey and mushy pumpkin pie (usually my favorite). We made a beeline for the nearest movie theater as soon as we could. I was so uncomfortable and upset and didn't even get good food to help.

On the positive side, it confirmed that our decision to avoid family most years and just go to Disneyland for Thanksgiving is the right decision.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:36:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I had a depressing Thanksgiving in college when I had to work Black Friday (in retail) so I couldn't make the trip home. I ended up ordering a Domino's Pizza. And two years ago Brent was too sick on Thanksgiving to go home with me or to his parents, so he had Popeye's Fried Chicken.

In terms of cooking disasters, I haven't done anything but during my mom's first Thanksgiving in the US she bought a frozen pumpkin pie and defrosted it instead of baking it. She served it all slushy.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jesser said...

Anything I can recall just centered around familial stuff ... one of my aunts had a fit about ... well it just isn't worth typing it, honestly ... cuz it's nuts and makes no sense, even to us. But no, no fires here. Though my hubby and some of his college buds fried a turkey on the lawn of the house we had in college (not on Thanksgiving) and set the grass on fire. These are engineering students, mind you.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:16:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

One year my mom bought the pre-made thanksgiving dinner for company and they got it home to find the turkey wasn't cooked.

Other than that our general tradition has always been to turn down every invitation there is. I cook for 1000 even if it's just us two (or just me) and then if anyone wants to come over they're welcome, as long as they can stand the day full of us in pj's, slipping into food induced comas while watching cheezy movies.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 2:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home