Monday, December 04, 2006

How the Kid almost died, episode #2

Ok, well. Here's the thing. The Kid, he loves him some nori. Seaweed. Not the plain kind that is wrapped around sushi, but the flat small cut seasoned sheets that you use to pick up rice and That's what we did when we were kids, anyway. That is some tasty stuff. Try it.

So I usually hand him a few sheets to nibble on while I am getting his 'real' dinner ready. So the other night, I do this, then notice silence, then muffled gagging. I look over to see him choking and struggling for air.

Turns out he took a larger than average bite and the piece kind of stuck itself - suction like - over his itty bitty windpipe. Horrible. I had to reach my fingers in his mouth and scrape it out.

Of course I did the logical thing and yelled at HIM for taking such a large bite. Cause yeah, that was the blame. Not the irresposible mother who just handed him the food. Ugh. I'm a horrible person.


Blogger Jodi said...

I think most people react that way. You were scared, but relieved he was yeah, you yell at him.

I was going to relate a similar story regarding one of my dogs, but realized it's not at all similar and I remembered how much you hate it when people compare their pets to human kids. So I'll stop now.

Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

You are not a horrible person.

I was going to tell you about the time I tried to feed Jodi's dog nori and he choked and then Jodi yelled at ME even though it was the DOG'S fault for choking on it...

Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:38:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

Doesn't that stuff get really sticky and cellophany-like once it gets wet? Good thing you had the presence of mind you did.

Monday, December 04, 2006 2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Rokes said...

I used to choke on nori ALL THE TIME when I was little! That, and mochi. I think every Japanese kid goes through that (with either or both) once in their life! My cousin doesn't even like mochi to this day because she thinks she'll still choke on it!

Monday, December 04, 2006 5:44:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

OMG! I would have totally freaked out. The boy choked on a hamburger once and T had to do the heimlich.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home