Tuesday, January 02, 2007

It's not easy being green

Throwing parties gives me the opportunity to make little snacks. And by little I mean tiny. This year I decided to make little green tea cakes, filled with sweet red bean (an). My hopes were dashed when I opened my cabinet with no an to be found. There was certainly no way I was going to the Japanese market again. That place is hell on earth from Christmas to New Years.

Every New Year's is the same. People loading up on crazy ass things you only see once a year. I of course have no idea what these things are called so I usually grab a worker, point to someone else's cart and say, "Where's that?" One thing that EVERYONE buys is burdock root. And that is a seriously scary looking thing. It looks like a long skinny brown tree, and everyone has at least two in their cart at checkout. I refuse to cut and cook up a tree so I've never made it. My family loves to eat it, so they usually buy it premade or from the freezer section.

Back to my an-less cakes. I used my maccha roll cake recipe and adapted it to this petit four pan that my mom bought me at Surfas. It came out pretty cute. I bet they'd be perfect for showers, but after that last one, I don't think I'll be hosting one any time soon.

Green Tea Cake recipe, HERE.

7 Comments:

Anonymous myra said...

WTF? You MADE the cakes? When I saw your New Year's food pic yesterday I thought to myself, "well at least she bought the pastries." WRONG.

If you think the gobo in the carts are crazy you should go to a UH game. I don't know if they still do it, but a couple years back fans would show up at the arenas with gobo and wave them in the air while they cheered, "go bows!"

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 4:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Jodi said...

Those cakes are cute.

Even cuter...the new banner with HaHa, HaHa Too, and Taco.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

OMG. I just choked laughing. GO BOWS is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And the funniest. Ha! Now that'll stick with me forever, gah!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 4:21:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Love that cake pan. Where did you get it?

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:50:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Times like this I wish I liked green tea-flavored stuff.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Jessica,

I got it at Surfas. But this one is similar.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Rokes said...

That "go bows!" comment was hilarious, Myra! But I've gone to some UH games in the last 2 years and I don't think they do it anymore...it must be a security thing since they look in your bags now. I don't think they would allow long brown root vegetables, because they don't even allow umbrellas!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 5:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home