Monday, January 01, 2007

Oshogatsu

As always New Years meaning cooking. I always wonder what other people (non-Japanese Americans) do on New Years Day. Recover from hangovers I suppose. I wake up early, turn on the Rose Parade and start my own parade of cooking non-stop.

People started coming around 11:30 - and by noon I had passed out. I was tired. I was only out an hour, but when I woke up, most of the food was eaten. So that's a good sign.

Tradition is a big thing of course, and you can't start off your morning unless you have a bowl of ozoni, Japanese New Year mochi soup. Everyone's soup is different, but mine must have been especially good this year, as O.G. downed four bowls of it. Well, at least she'll have good luck this year, or she'll be peeing like a racehorse tonight.

As you can tell we had A LOT of food. I am starting off this year FAT.

All New Year pictures, with food descriptions, HERE.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Happy New Year. Yeah, I slept most of the day...and then ate tater tots!

Monday, January 01, 2007 11:33:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

I'm all ozoni'd out. Happy 2007!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home