Thursday, January 11, 2007

Pretty please? With sugar on top?

I know I keep asking for help/ideas/etc. lately, but this time I really need it. You had such excellent ice cream ideas, I'm sure you will help me with this problem. The Kid's birthday is coming up and I am supposed to bring something for his class to celebrate. NOT CAKE. NOT COOKIES. NOT CUPCAKES. Eh...wha?

Essentially they don't want the kids hopped up on sugar. I dig that, I mean, I don't have to stay with them all day, the teachers do. But what in the world am I supposed to make instead? They said, "...muffins?" Ew. I just picture toddlers sitting around poking at bran muffins with their plastic forks. Makes for not such a fun kid's bday party if you get my drift.

I would love to make these SUSHI CUPCAKES. How awesome are they? They are cupcakes, with candy. MMM. I'm sure that is wayyy not allowed.

I would really really love to make these Martha Stewart animal cupcakes. Again, the sugar content would kill a horse. However a three year old would probably be just fine. Horse = dead. Kid = alive and well.

I don't want to stay away from sugar entirely, but I don't want to make something blah. It's a 3 year-old's party for goodness sakes. I think I am still going to go with cupcakes, just not frosted up like crazy, you know? So I am asking you, any ideas? Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller...?

*OH, and hey, I hear this is delurking week. So if you have never left a comment before, now's your chance. Lemme know how you got here and hopefully you'll stay a while. I'll bake cookies.

14 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Jello jigglers!!!

Or Jello vodka shots...

what?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm at a loss. Maybe you can make fancy fruits and veggies, like elephants out of oranges and radish roses.

Yeah, do that if you want your kid to hate you.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger ahh_diddums said...

hi. im a lurker. came across this blog about a year ago and now i read it daily. i love it!

ok, how do u feel about crispy rice fruit balls with almonds [http://www.free-gourmet-recipes.com/ladess37.shtml]. i know it doesnt really say happy birthday but it doesnt have a lot of sugar and sounds kinda tasty. erm. only thing is im not sure how many kids eat fruit willingly...

Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Gerta said...

Okay...busted lurker.

My original thought was monkey bread, but that would probably defeat the teachers completely what with the sugar AND sticky fingers. How much do you like these teachers?

Anyway, what if you made banana bread, but instead of baking it in a loaf, you used a muffin tin? Maybe even mini-loaves.

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:13:00 AM  
Blogger PurrrL said...

What if you make cupcakes that you'd actually be proud of, but make mini-sized ones? That way they'd be extra cute and only a fraction of the sugar per kid... Cuz I'm thinking that if you scale back on the sugar in a recipe on a regular cake (cupped or not), plus cut back on the frosting...you may end up with a room full of cupcakes returned to you with the frosting licked off and the cake untouched!

Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jesser said...

How about trail mix or something like that? I'm sure you could come up with a very cute presentation for it and even sneak in a little candy. Or how about some sort of popcorn snack?

PS ... didn't we just do national delurking week like in Sept or something??

Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn! What about fruit kabobs (strawberries, pineapple, etc.) and then top it off with an unfrosted chocolate mini cupcake.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:21:00 AM  
Blogger BlogWhore said...

ants on a log.

what? not complicated enough for you?

okay, throw in some broccli for trees.

did i spell broccli wrong?

Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger madretz said...

Sorry, no ideas, just wanted to de-lurk. I click on over every now and then from Jodi's blog after I read a witty comment you leave there.

I do like the broccoli for trees idea, though. :)

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:11:00 PM  
Blogger SushiBoat76 said...

Little crustless sandwiches with whatever fillings kids like cut into cute shapes.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:16:00 PM  
Anonymous jennP said...

what my mom used to make was cake in an ice cream cone. You basically can choose a low sugar cake recipe of some sort or even a muffin mix and pour the mix in flat bottomed ice cream cones, pop in the over for about 30-40 minutes, then cover with whipped topping of some sort. kids love eating muffins in a cone!

Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger Just Plain Jane said...

I say screw them- they're not going to make you turn around and take them out- tell them you made the stuff with natural sweeteners like apple sauce - that's what I do :) I know it's evil but it's a freaking kid's birthday for crying out loud!!! That's like saying on Christmas you only get to open ONE present the whole day.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Ms. Chickpea said...

Hi, I'm finally de-lurking after reading your blog for a while now and have enjoyed you ever since I found you over on LA Blogs. I love your food pics and even tried out a couple of your recipes which turned out great!

Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Poppy said...

Hi, my name is Poppy and I am a Lurk-er. (Hiiii, Poppy) Found you through another foodie blog. Your son's declaration of "I love you more than armpits" makes me laugh (out loud) every time I think of it! As for the Kid's birthday treat--have you considered transferring him to a school that allows a kid to celebrate his/her b-day with much deserved and appreciated cake/cookies/cupcakes?! I'm a teacher and as much as the sugar high drives me crazy--I'm human. And I know how much it means to these little ones to have yummy treats to celebrate birthdays. Good luck.

Friday, January 12, 2007 9:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home