Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rock n' Bowl

I don't know what got it in the Kid's head that bowling was the end all be all of life experiences, but he insisted. FOR MONTHS. So I took off work early just to take him bowling for the very first time of his young life.

We hit the hippest bowling alley in town, which is not so hip at 3pm on a weekday, but still cool nonetheless. There are large screens at the ends of the alley where movie clips are interspersed with art from various artists. It's like bowling in a museum. I appreciate that they tried to infuse some sort of culture in there. I really enjoyed seeing the featured paintings.

He put on the cutest little bowling shoes you ever did see, and we were on our way. He rolled the first ball...and it stuck. Right there in the middle of the lane. No budge. At this point he announced, "Mommy. I am done bowling." Oh hell no. I just paid for a game for each of us, so this is happening. And it did. Of course I ended up doing most of the work which left me with a sore left butt cheek and a sore right shoulder. Those are the muscles I use for bowling apparently.
In the end, the Kid had the highest score. Don't ask me how that happened. Overall, it was quite an experience. One that left him more enthralled with the bowling shoes and the candy jar on the counter, than with the actual physical activity. Yeah. He's definitely my kid.

8 Comments:

Anonymous to said...

is that seriously the mph the ball was rolled?

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Yup. I got it all the way up to almost 14mph, with a very graceful - left leg forward, extend, right leg sweep thing. i.e. not just THROWING it down the lane like my SIL. Who still got the same score as me anyway come to think of it. DAMMIT!!

My bowling form could also be why my muscles hurt. And probably comes naturally from years of similar golf training.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Do you actually call your kid "Kid"? Too cute!

I always type my daughters name or refer to her by her name but in person I always call her Baby or Bird.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I always feel out of place at that hip establishment...maybe since I'm such a dork. I prefer the more ghetto bowling alleys. I bowl horribly, but it's fun and yeah, I end up being sore in some strange muscles.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

The Kid just bowled my highest score ever. And I've bowled a lot because in Utah that's what we call a "safe" date (even though there's ball touching! ha!).

Maybe the Kid isn't a bowling prodigy but just had some beginner's luck. Perhaps you should take him to the racetrack. Or Vegas.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

You said "BALL TOUCHING."

Thursday, February 08, 2007 1:53:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

You're all Ball Touchers

Thursday, February 08, 2007 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger Rokes said...

I have my own ball, but it's still in Hawaii. I want it back - it fits my fingers so perfectly and is just the right weight. =)

Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home