Tuesday, March 06, 2007

You can't always get what you want.

I'm sick. Again. That's not normal, really. Usually, I am either on my deathbed or healthy. No in between. Lately I have become the catcher of all colds. The sad thing I realized is, that after you have kids, no one takes care of you. You are the caretaker, sick or no. I can't take off work and sip ginger ale while watching Oprah like I want to. No, I have to get up, get the kids to school and go to work, come home and still make sure they are well fed and taken care of. It's unfair. No one takes care of you, no one cares what you want.

I thought about this as I dragged my tired ass to work. "What do I want?" I thought. "What would make me happy?" Then it hit me a Twix. It was so bad I could actually taste it. It was weird. I don't *love* Twix - in fact I haven't eaten a Twix since Halloween, I think.

I sat at my desk and coughed and hacked but I couldn't work. I just wanted that candy. So I hunted in the bottom of my purse for loose change and headed over to the deli. There it was on the shelf, one of those long boxes with the punched out top that said TWIX. I reached my hand in....empty. Son of a b*tch.

So I went back to my office and sulked. I didn't even feel like eating it anymore but I just wanted it. When I got off of work I veered into the nearest Target. Surely they would have a Twix there. Down the candy aisle. Nothing. Down the cookie aisle. Nope. I cursed God's name because he is the creator of Twix, you see. Sure they had an 80lb bag, but I just wanted one. One little candy bar.

It had to be in the checkout. I headed down each and every lane and can you believe, no goddam Twix. Right before it was my turn I decided to check one more aisle...and there it was. FINALLY. I got what I wanted.

Now it's sitting here in front of me and I have no desire to eat it at all. In fact the thought of chocolate is making me want to vomit. But at least I got what I wanted. Oh yes. I won.

Hm. Not at all really. I kinda feel stupid. Crap.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear you are sick and you have no one to take care of you. I really hope I didn't get you sick. Eek!

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger sko_G knits said...

WHHAAATT?!!?!! deathbed or healthy, no in between...so that means you are on your deathbed. i can't have lunch with you tomorrow, i just got over being sick. thank you, but forgit it. i have a tv appearance that i have to stay healthy for.

how about next week when you are all better?

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I HATE getting sick in my house....my husband is not a caring person AT ALL! One time he said this to me,
"You'd feel so much better if you got up and made yourself a cup of tea." jerk.

I wish I could take care of you....hope you feel better soon..

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 1:50:00 PM  
Anonymous CoryAlayne said...

Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud at the end of this post. Not AT you, of course... but you always have a way to add the biting humor in, even on your worst days.

So sorry you're sick. I hope you feel better soon, and at least find a few ginger-ale sipping moments, even if you can't have a whole day to yourself. :)

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home