Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My little mochi

All this mochi talk is making me hungry. I just realized that most people may not know that you can buy mochi from a store. Yes, there are actual Japanese bakeries, here in L.A. that only specialize in mochi.

One of them, the most famous, is Mikawaya. I'm sure EVERYONE knows that name because they invented mochi ice cream! Talk about genius. They have a store right in the heart of Little Tokyo and I always stop by and buy one!

Another downtown store is Fugestsu-Do. Also downtown, on the same street as the Japanese American Museum. Also one of the oldies - you can find them in most major Japanese markets.

My ultimate fave? Sakuraya in Gardena. It's a tiny hole in the wall, been there for years. The taste and consistency of the mochi is totally homemade and completely dream about it delicious. Plus it's fun to watch them gift wrap their boxes Japanese style, only using string and no tape.

Another place to find mochi? My house. I make it pretty often. Two words: coffee. mochi.

Like I said, my faves are the pink ones. Cause they are awesome. Like pink the color. Pink the artist. AND there is even a band called Pink Mochi. That's how good the pink ones are.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

ok - i'm patiently waiting for some mochi recipes =)

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Rokes said...

Pink Mochi sounds a little Bjork-esque in that one song I listened to!

I love pink mochi too - I would always grab that pink and white striped one when we got a box!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:24:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Love the shirt! I had to go check out your flickr to see what exactly was ordering it be rubbed on one's butt.

Hey since we're talking about mochi and an and recipes, any chance you have a good an pan recipe? The boy loves him some an pan.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Anonymous dee said...

mochi rocks!

Except the green ones at Shirokiya that taste like leaves. And the ones that my dad puts shoyu on.

Those are just wrong.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home