Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"What the f*ck were you thinking?"
Your cooking questions, I've got ANSWERS.

Let me start off by saying, I am in a BAAADD mood. I came home to find that my MIL had done me a favor by making dinner. I felt the bad news coming before I stepped in the house. Not only, did she break a favorite bowl of mine (if you recall, her last visit she broke my favorite ceramic knife from Japan AND my Dwight bobblehead doll) but that meatloaf she made for dinner? Raw. Dead raw. This would not be a problem except for the fact that the Baby gobbled it up before I could stop him. I'm sure the boy has an iron stomach, but I am enraged. That is all I can say.
__________________

Now on to your questions:

Joyce: Is mochi easy to make?
That kind is. I do have a good mochi recipe, it is in my 'must put that on the website' file. I'll let you know. It's super easy. That woman was lying to you.

Myra: Flat cupcakes.
My MIL has this same problem with her cakes falling. One thing I believe is…where you live. The elevation, the heat, of Hawaii, those are all things that need to be taken into consideration. However she doesn’t have a/c so it’s always 80+ degrees IN the house, another reason why I never visit there.

A couple of other reasons your cake might fall, oven temperature. Some ovens run hotter than others. To REALLY check you’d need a thermometer. But my number one answer to cake falling is always: over mixing or over beating. There is no need to beat that thing to death. Just mix it to the point of being combined and let it be. Take your frustrations out elsewhere. Like on your family.

Myra: Erupting batter in cupcake cones.
Batter eruption? Don’t overfill. The end. Just leave a good one inch to the top of the cone. It seems like a lot, but trust me, you need the room. That bottom of the cone is tiny - volume wise, which is why it works it's way up, up, up. Give it some space. Also, I've told you a million times, box mix sucks ass. Honest. I even have a t-shirt that says so.
Yvett:
Shortening substitution.
Shortening is disgusting. Just the thought of it makes me sick. I avoid all recipes using shortening, or margarine. I am a believer in all butter all the time. As for substitutions, well you can change it out with butter or margarine, but they tell you to use shortening for a reason. For instance if you are baking pie crust it makes it crispier and flakier. So if you want the 'true' taste of the original recipe - stick to it. Me? I just pass altogether. Ew.

Thanks for the questions. Keep them coming, I will do my best to answer them. Anything to get my mind off my broken dishes and the Baby's trichinosis.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Raw? Good grief, that's awful!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Is that shirt available as an apron, too?

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:44:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Why is it the only shirt I've come across with my name on it includes the word "ass"?

But notice how if you say "sucks ass" over and over really fast it sounds like "success"!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:21:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about shortening. I was making gorditas and decided to just not add the shortening and make no substitutions. I was a little worried but they were still good.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:09:00 AM  
Anonymous HoneybeeSF said...

My MIL will be here in 2 weeks and just reading about yours makes me cringe! Mine isn't an absolute nightmare, but she won't give me a moment of peace... talks to me through the bathroom door! I just bought an iPod and have no qualms about "tuning out." E-V-I-L! Keep your chin up!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:14:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

What's a Nubian?

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home