Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Food is fuel. You get picky about what you put in the tank, your engine is gonna die. Now shut up and eat your garbage."

Kitchen essentials. There are of course the requisite pots and pans. There are things you need for cooking. Things just for baking. I could make a ton of lists, as I am Queen list maker, but let's just stick to this unless you care to hear about the others. These few things will make your kitchen life easier:

1. The Santoku knife.
This is the only knife you will ever need. It is perfect in every way, from the grip to the way food doesn't stick to the blade. I can't tell you how much better your life will be if you had one of these knives. Nowadays you can even find them cheap.

2. Baking soda.
Great for baking, better for cleaning. I use it to clean my sinks and countertops and yes, I have used it to brush my teeth before.

3. A good spoon.
A perfect spoon can be used to mix batter, stir up spices or boil pasta. I just happened to see this fiberglass spoon at Surfas and was wondering, what the heck? It is amazing. Better than wood. Better than metal. Just plain awesome.

4. Kosher salt
I am not a fan of Morton Salt. You know the junk that comes in the blue container with the cute girl and the umbrella? Like the girl, like the umbrella, not so much liking the salt. Biggest peeve? It has iodine in it. You know how I feel about additives. Yeah, yeah, we all need iodine, like 100 years ago or if I had a goiter. I don't have a goiter.

No, I prefer kosher salt. It's large enough to sprinkle without over salting, and I generally just feel better about it. Even in baking, though others would disagree.

5. Kitchen shears
Absolutely necessary. I hope you aren't using plain old scissors when you open your packages in the kitchen. Please don't. The cross contamination thing scares the crap out of me. A good pair of kitchen scissors will allow you to open a bag or cut a chicken in two, if need be. But they should not be the same scissors you use to cut paper. Ew.

Well that's the short list. I am again, opening the comments up to cooking/recipe questions if you got 'em. (Obviously I have no content to post.) I am no expert, just a friend with advice to lend.

Let me leave you with one NON-essential cooking item. I love the useless just as much as the useful. I picked up this cute French ceramic egg holder - which is adorable, and since eggs now have expiration dates printed right on them, I can throw away those horrible egg cartons. Hooray. Now I can see all my little eggs peeking back at me in the fridge begging me to use them. Hello eggs.
Biggie size, here.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen14221 said...

My eggs do not have expiration dates; I wonder if I should get out a Sharpie and write them on myself. I am always paranoid abouy eating 'old' eggs, even by a day or two.
Question: what do you consider the top few/requited kitchen appliances? I don't mean the fridge or dishwasher, I mean small (i.e., blender, panini maker, etc) appliances. Because I have about 100 and would like to pare things down.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:43:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

My eggs also don't have expiration dates! Boooo!

Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Emily said...

I have a question that came up last night. My boyfriend recently mentioned that his mother used to make great oatmeal snickerdoodles so I thought I would surprise him and try to make them myself. I have a snickerdoodle recipe that he loves so I was comparing it to the oatmeal snickerdoodle recipes online and found that two ingredients were missing: baking soda and cream of tartar. Are they not needed due to the addition of oatmeal?

I could probably Google to fnd the answer but...you're a baker and this way is much more fun!

Oh, and here's a bonus question because I was looking for another recipe last night - mmm baked oatmeal - and couldn't find it because my loose recipes are a mess. How do you organize your recipes?

Ahem, I think that's it. Thanks!

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:30:00 AM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

My eggs do not have expirations dates on them either. Maybe because I buy orgnanic.

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:56:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I LOVE iodine, LOVE it.

Don't come crying to me when you have a goiter.

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:29:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

I make meringue from unpasturized eggs and lick the beaters.

But instead of a sharpie Jen should get one of those date stamps like at the library.

Our favorite find recently was the half moon pizza cutter we saw on Alton Brown. Got em at crate & barrel. It even pops apart to clean but you don't have to.

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger ComfortablyCrazy said...

I've had eggs with dates on them when we lived in Illinois, I think I got them at whole foods. Now I buy eggs in a huge flat and stick them in my old cartons in the fridge. I use a lot of eggs.
Oh, and I really want to try to make a cake, without a box mix, Chocolate and White cakes are the preferred choices, but we're up for anything as long as it doesn't have peanuts. Do you think you could e-mail me an easy recipe, or do you have one posted here somewhere already?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger ComfortablyCrazy said...

Oh, and I love the "Ratatouille" reference.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you buy the ceramic egg holder? My mom has been looking for one exactly like this forever and I'd love to buy it for her.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home