Sunday, September 30, 2007

When you're alone and life is making you lonely
you can always go...

I love walking on streets. Not sidewalks, mind you, but the asphalt streets that cars drive on. Obviously, one cannot do this without being hit by a car - therefore, bring on the street fair! It's the architect in me. I love to walk by the buildings we take for granted driving by everyday. It's no secret that I am a huge fan of downtown. This weekend was the Grand Avenue Festival - showcasing the best of the downtown arts, culture and food. I was thrilled to be able to show the kids what I love most about downtown L.A., all in one place!

First off, the food was great, little bites from some of my fave restaurants, and I don't even have to drive to them. Delicious chicken w/mole sauce and salsa from Ciudad, my favorite garlic fries from Pinot. The Kid chomped on some asian style ribs and had strawberry fondue. All good. They also had free tickets to the Disney concert hall and discounted tickets to Avenue Q, but the kids were too busy taking in all the arts and crafts. Paint your own cultural masks! Make your own styrofoam lizards! Make your own drum! (god help me.)

Yes, I like to dress my Kid as a 1940's convict.
I also got to stroll through my favorite museum, MOCA. I visit museums a lot, but that is the only one that I have a membership to. It has a special place in my heart and I go there as often as I can. Granted, the art in there is definitely not for kids, but they had fun traipsing through the exhibits just the same. "Look Mommy, a...stool?" Yep. A stool. That's art, baby!

It was a fun day, but HOT. Hey man, I thought it was winter! As always, the heat got the better of me and I was laid out with a migraine for the rest of the afternoon. Sandwiching my head between two pillows to keep out the light, in between vomiting and near crying, it was all worth it cause damn that chicken mole was good.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Renee said...

hi justjenn! My husband and I tried out the Kalbi recipe for dinner (so yummy!!) and we are waiting for the root beer sherbert to be icy goodness! Thanks for the recipes! - delurking - Renee

Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger Wakeful D said...

OK, I had to de-lurk to make several comments.

1. I love to walk in the middle of the street. In New Orleans it's a city-wide past time, since there're so many one-way streets it's easy to see when the cars are about to hit you.

2. I'm an architecture student, so it makes me incredibly happy to see an architect who knits and bakes and has so much fun doing it.

3. I'm fairly certain I had a number three... oh yes, are you Ravelry? I completely forget how I found your blog.

4. I swear I am not a crazy person. It's studio! I have a review on Wednesday and everything is due Monday.

Alright, the end. Back to lurking like two lurking things.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Dude, it's FALL, not winter! Ha!

I love downtown L.A. too and am a little bummed to have missed the festival. The Brewery Art Walk is coming up soon. Do you ever go to that?

Probably better you didn't take the kids to see Ave. Q!

Monday, October 01, 2007 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Jesser said...

Ooh, looks like a way good time. I'm excited for the time when Tabby can appreciate things like this with us. But y'know ... she's nice like this too. She's quiet and doesn't roam off on her own or anything. Yet.

Monday, October 01, 2007 3:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home