Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Constant...craving...has always been.

Just an aside, emailing while driving will be the death of me. I'm sure of it.

I have cravings. Maybe that's not quite the word but I can't think of a better one. When I find myself in certain places I feel the need to eat specific things. My mom has season tickets to the Opera, and this month was Jenufa. It was fantastic and I highly recommend it. What's more fun than a story about a dead illegitimate child and a woman being stabbed in the face? Come on! That's good times!

Whenever I go to the Opera I have to eat a Patina brownie. It's horrible. Not the urge, the brownie. It tastes awful. Too chocolately, too much non-blended granulated sugar, and it's chewy. I don't like sticky chewy brownies. Yet, I want it. Everytime. Then I started thinking, what else do I HAVE TO HAVE and where?

Disneyland = pink cotton candy
weekend Farmer's Market = agua fresca and chilaquiles
Knott's Berry Farm = fried chicken (that's a given)
Paul Frank = Pink's hot dogs (down the street)
Ala Moana in Waikiki = Thirst Aid orange freeze (now gone, sad)
Dim Sum = daan tarts (custard tarts)
L.A. Zoo = Cinnamon glazed roasted almonds
The Grove aka Fairfax Farmer's Market = beignets at the Gumbo Pot
Staples Center = Popcornopolis
J-town (Little Tokyo) = mochi ice cream and an imagawayaki

When I go to these places, it's a given that I will buy these things, whether I am hungry or not. They aren't particularly good, as you can tell, but maybe it's the spirit of the place that settles me into that 'wanting'.

Am I the only one who has these cravings? Sure, hot dogs at ball games, popcorn at the movies, but Opera brownies? You can't beat that.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger bubbie said...

When I go to the movies I have to have a cherry icee and popcorn with jalapenos. Who eats jalapenos with their popcorn? It weird and embarassing and I always make my boyfriend do the ordering of popcorn with jalapenos.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:45:00 PM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

bubbie, I think jalepenos in popcorn sounds BRILLIANT.

When I am home I have to have a burger at Alfies. Which means nothing to anyone here. Oh, and a proper Chicago hot dog.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

Whenever I visit My MOM in Florida, I have to partake in A Constant State Of Drunkeness.

Trust me, it is The Only Way to get through the weekend. My MOM is A NIGHTMARE.

xoxo,
TDR

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:06:00 PM  
Anonymous ComfortablyCrazy said...

Mmmmmmmm.....chilaquiles. The colder it is the more I want ice cream. Also going to SAJ's means, Baja Fresh or Chronic Tacos, Starbucks (not that I can't and do occasionally get it at home), and Brueger's Bagels.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

When I go to Magic Mt., I must have a frozen lemonade thing. And a churro at Disneyland. Oh, and pretzel rolls at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:47:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

If I fed ex you some strawberry mochi will you send me some imagawayaki? Yum!!

Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:25:00 AM  
Anonymous John said...

I have absolutely no food association habits and I'm feeling decidedly lost amidst this sea of admissions. I want one too...

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger san francisco lauren said...

wow...I thought I was the only one... :D

I always need a cheese on a stick at the fair, frappachino on Mondays, a pretzel at the mall...I could go on!

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

Please, please don't email while driving. I saw a terrible accident yesterday on the SM freeway, and it scared the **** out of me. The guy was not paying attention and when traffic came to a sudden stop, he didn't. It's an image I won't be forgetting real soon.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Whenever I go to a carnival or fair, I have to get a fried dough and cotton candy.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Pineapple whip at Disneyland. Without fail.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Anytime I go to an arena for any type of event I have to have a hot dog. I think I was most excited to go to the Madonna concert because I got to have a hot dog at the United Center. The hot dog was not the best part of the night, but it was pretty high on the list.

Any time I have anything salty (pretzles, chips, etc), I *must* have a diet coke with it. It's pavlovian.

And totally agree, visit to the family brings on a primal craving for liquor.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:39:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Damn. I had a comment for this, way back when you posted it. But now my head hurts and I can't think.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home