Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Let's talk turkey

"Uh..OH. Mommy! But...but, this is FAST FOOD!" So cried the Kid as I pulled into a Carl's Jr. the other day. My kids don't eat fast food you see. Mostly because I have to eat whatever they eat and I don't care for it. Therefore, the deprivation. But we were in an unfortunate circumstance, in an unfamiliar part of town, and it was that horrible time of day: One Second Past Hungry. So I did what I had to. Generally I feel like Anthony Bourdain does, fast food doesn't have to mean artery clogging burgers and faux chicken fingers. It can be noodles. Or tacos. Or anything that doesn't come on a sesame seed bun, really.

But yes, generally I cook from scratch for the boys, so I'm sure a McSomething probably sounds pretty good to them. I get inspired by walking through the market which is why I always leave with 50 more things than I went in for. The other day I saw a WHOLE TURKEY BREAST. At first I thought that was weird, then again I thought maybe I could feed all of us and more with just that.

So I roasted it up, and wouldn't ya know, two days worth o' food for just $6. I served it with rice because my children are freaks and do not like potatoes. I know, they should be disowned but I've grown fond of them so I'll keep 'em for now. Those little potato hating heathens. All in all the turkey was a good lead up to a 'real' one on Thanksgiving, and I even got a - "WOW. Mommy! This turkey tastes sooo GOOD." That's some tasty McTurkey.

Roasted Turkey Breast recipe, HERE.

p.s. You don't have to serve it on plates or utensils like this. Especially if you don't have kids, that'd just be weird!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger The Daily Randi said...

That Turkey really does look Delicious.

But, I really have my eye on The Alligator Spoons! Cute!

xoxo,
TDR

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

My Mom cooked from scratch for us when I was a kid. We did not appreciate it and begged for frozen or fast food. I've been cursed with the not-being-able-to-cook-very-well or at least not enjoying it so much. Your kids are lucky and hopefully will someday appreciate it and you!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:32:00 AM  
Anonymous mayieve said...

I wouldn't like to be the kid eating turkey with a spoon. Must be kinda difficult ;)

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:50:00 AM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

We didn't eat much fast food growing up and neither do my kids. Except Chick fil a, I lOVE chick fil a. My kids don't like potatos either, they want fruit cups instead of french fries at chick fil a!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:13:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Mayieve: Actually, he asks for a spoon! Turkey with a spoon, ain't so bad!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jesser said...

I like the cooking stuff. Sometimes I admit, I do crave a bit of Taco Bell (a leftover habit from high school), but that's about it. But we eat at home far more than we eat out and very little of it comes out of the freezer (unless I cooked it and stashed it there for later).

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Spider said...

Ohhh I love turkey, and the best part is after the turkey...it's sleepy time. Whoo hoo!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:14:00 AM  
Anonymous myra said...

Hey Cook-from-scratch-Lady! I was inspired by you to start doing more cooking and stocked my almost always empty fridge up with lots of fresh ingredients over the weekend only to return home yesterday and discover I left the fridge door ajar all day long! Sh*t. It MUST be a sign.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:35:00 PM  
Anonymous dee said...

We never go fast food either for the same reasons, and 'Super Size Me' solidified the cause.
So when my daughter said, 'I love Jack in the Box!'
I said 'Huh? Have you ever been there?'
She said, 'I just love that guy with the big white head on t.v.!'
Scary.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:41:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Man - I hadn't been to your recipe page in a while but it looks damn nice!!! Is there ANYTHING that you don't do???? LOL - stupid question that I already know the answer to but I always like asking it. LOVE the recipe page - mind if I blog it? I think maybe you should work your connectons and get a food spot on tv...now THAT'D be fun.

And DANG! How big IS that turkey breast? $6?! What a bargain...

Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home