Sunday, November 04, 2007

Did I stutter?

This must be a sign that I should not shop this week, because twice so far, I've had bad retail experiences.

If I had a million dollars I'd buy tons of useless crap at Crate and Barrel. I just love that store. So I saw this gorgeous apothecary jar in the catalog, and I headed down to the store to get it.

There was a cashier standing alone...when all the other ones had looong lines. First clue right there. I asked her where the apothecary jar was, I even showed her a picture. She stared at me, then returned with a 2" tall spice jar. Er. No. I said, "I wanted the apothecary jar." She replied, "Oh, right here." How did she all of a sudden know what I meant in just 5 seconds? She said, "Some people use different terminology."

Ok, fine. She doesn't like my terminology, no prob. I decide to go for the bonus round. "Do you have any scoops?" Her answer: "Scoops? What are those?" At this point even I was stumped. What do I say? "Er...you SCOOP things with them? Flour, candy, stuff like that?" Here's where the genius spills out of my mouth and even I start to wonder what I am asking for: "It's like a spoon...but not?" UGH. I was over it. She huffed and again said, "WELL. Everyone uses different terminology." Good lord it's like she learned a new word and couldn't wait to use it or something.

As I've stated many times from all my years of working retail, having someone who knows what they are actually selling REALLY HELPS. I ended up going to Surfas and getting scoops for a mere $1.36 thank you very much. Screw you non-spoon/scoop-lady. Nevertheless, I am VERY happy with my apothecary jar. It's gorgeous, and just WAIT til you see what I do with it this weekend...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Lisa Show said...

What is her deal with terminologies. Yours was even an ILLUSTRATED question, for crying out loud. Hehe. It's one of my pet peeves- people selling stuff they know nothing about. The apothecary jar's gorgeous though. Worth it.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Note to self: bring giant handbag to Jenn's to steal jar...and scoops.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

I'm all excited now about what you're going to do with this jar this weekend! I'll never be able to guess. What will you do??

Sunday, November 04, 2007 10:26:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

You should have spoke to her in pidgin.

Monday, November 05, 2007 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger gina,
owner of
c is for
cupcake
baking co.
said...

ST saw one of these today at TJMaxx for $20 and didn;t get it. Now I see it here?! I HAVE TO GO BACK!!!

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home