Monday, November 05, 2007

She's crafty - she's always down

This weekend I had a date. With Tom Colicchio. Well, not really. But a friend and I went to Craft for dinner. The new hotspot for celebrities and agents, and owned by Tom Colicchio of Top Chef fame.

This meal did not disappoint. Some highlights include, Peekytoe Crab & Sweet Corn Gratin, (peekytoe-hee!) , Hen of Woods mushrooom, and White Sweet Potato & Marshmallow, yes, we just eat sides, that's how we are. Each dish was pretty much cooked to perfection with the most amazing taste combinations.

We ordered a few other things but also we, uh...ordered three desserts. This is how we eat. Don't come out with us if you can't keep up with the sugar level. I have to say I was disappointed with the desserts. I expected more 'sweet', or something. Prior to going there I had heard about the Maple Bacon Ice Cream but when we got it, I couldn't handle it. Chewing large chunks of bacon in a creamy ice cream was too blech. It is rare that I would waste dessert, but I pretty much left all three on the plates. Sad.

The meal was really spectacular. I was impressed. Especially with the service. The waiters are extremely knowledgeable and know how every dish is prepared and tastes. Also, throughout the meal they brought us so many free 'extras'. A taste of an appetizer, a taste of of a special dessert not on the menu, and at the end:
This is called a mignardise. Ours was a tiny piece of toffee and...HOLD ON...itty bitty macarons. Good lord. If you ever want to buy my love, just give me a macaron and I am yours. Especially an itty bitty one. While I am not a fan of taking pictures of your food at restaurants myself, I was fine with my friend taking pictures of every plate, cause hell, she has a food blog. Also, I happily posed for the above photo because TINY. SO. CUTE.

Hold on. One more thing, right before we left, the waiter, who again, I must mention, was excellent, gave us a little take home pumpkin spice muffin for the road. Again - FREE. Very nice, very special - the entire meal was amazing. Good company helps as well, whenever I go to a fine dining restaurant (rarely) I like to go with people who enjoy the food and experience as much as me. We like to pick apart the meal and analyze the ingredients and different tastes. It makes the whole dining experience that much better. I'd go back, but get dessert somewhere else. Or my bacon somewhere else.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous myra said...

Free muffin for the road? Okay, I'm hating you again.

Monday, November 05, 2007 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

i don't understand the maple bacon ice cream!?

Monday, November 05, 2007 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger The Lisa Show said...

Hi. My thighs hate you.

Monday, November 05, 2007 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger クリスタル said...

My fat post-pregnant butt hates you as well. LOL.

Maple Bacon ice cream sounds bleah... my husband might try it though.

Okay call me vegetable ignorant but "white" sweet potato?

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

MAPLE BACON ICE CREAM! WHOA!

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:38:00 AM  
Anonymous dee said...

mmmm... mini macaroons.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Rokes said...

F-ing food poisoning! Me + you + c.beans = awesome dinner next time! :)

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:49:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

Well, I guess I was wrong. There is a way that bacon would not be good. Was the fatty part not workin too well with the cold?

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Wow... that restaurant sounds amazing with the exception of the ice cream. I don't know if I can get behind that.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Jamie said...

I have to tell you, I read the first two sentences and my mouth dropped. I was like SERIOUSLY!? then I kept reading, ahaha.

I told my boyfriend I wanted to stalk Colicchio because they were in Chicago filming. Surprisingly, he was down to help!

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 12:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home