Tuesday, December 18, 2007

She's got a gold tooth you know she's hardcore
She'll show you a good time then she'll show you the door

Well the grinches have won. I love Christmas but it seems everyone else hates it. I don't know why. It doesn't have to be annoying unless you make it. It doesn't have to be stressful unless you make it so. So fine, they win. Now I hate Christmas too. I'm just sick of hearing about how pissed off everyone is that it's the holidays.

Today the guy in front of me in line had never been to a Starbucks before. It was fascinating. He didn't know what the different coffees were on the menu, and he stared into the bakery case as if it contained alien food. Then when he waited for his coffee AT THE REGISTER, the cashier explained that he was to wait to the side until they called his name. The people behind me were pissed, but I was fascinated. How could he have gone this long having never stepped into a coffee place? And what made him decide to do it this of all mornings, at the height of coffee rush hour? So interesting.

Even more news on the oddities front, what is the deal with holding doors for people? (Now I sound like Seinfeld) While I do enjoy a bit of chivalry, the fact that I am FORTY FEET away doesn't deter you? That is too far! Don't hold the door, I ain't running for it! Ok, sometimes I do cause I feel bad that these guys that just keep waiting, but come on. Lame. And can you believe this happens EVERY DAY?? I actually counted last week and the 'holding the door for Jenn' phenomenon happened at least once a day, every day, last week. Why? Stop. Please. I hate running.

I can't wait to go to Starbucks tomorrow. I wanna see if that guy comes back and makes another go for it.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger joyce said...

that's too funny!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm not pissed off that it's Christmas and I don't hate it. It's just hard because I'm broke and running too late to do much homemade stuff. It's hard at this time of year too because a lot of my friends and co-workers get time off and go away and I work. Please don't stop loving the holiday. I know I've bitched to you and vow not too again until December 26th.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:38:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Oh, I pretend not to have ever gone into a Starbucks all the time and then I ask the cashier if the store is part of a chain. Of course, it's always at a store I don't frequent.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:54:00 AM  
Blogger bubbie said...

The door holding thing happens to me too, but not as frequently. I feel bad when I'm still far away and there is someone holding the door open for me. I don't know if I should walk faster so they don't have to wait so long. I mean, it is their choice to hold open the door for me. I didn't ask them to, so why should I make them rush me, know what I mean? Not that I don't appreciate the gesture. Sometimes I just want to tell them thanks, but you don't need to wait for me. I can open the door myself. I don't want you to have to wait for me.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Now I'll be singing Beastie Boys songs in my head all day!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Jeanie said...

I was in the grocery store on Monday and I was the ONLY PERSON who had a smile on my face.

I figure that's because I chose my people well. But yeah, it gets a little old seeing all the crabby faces when it's such a great time of the year.

(If that is truly a Beastie Boys song lyric then I am going to email my husband with it -- he'll think I've suddenly gotten cool!)

Jeanie

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I'm not a coffee drinker I have no clue how to order coffee either and I always wait at the counter. So that explains all the dirty looks.

-myra

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:24:00 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I love those guys. those "hon have you tried that mocha latte thing?"
I get one like almost daily (which explains my jeans getting smaller) so I get a kick out of people who go once a year.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:30:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I don't hate it. I'm just exhausted and broke. I haven't been able to do the stuff I really wanted to do this year because of my computer and work stuff. Sorry.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jesser said...

that's just sad ... I seriously love the holidays. And most people I've run into aren't too grinchy. But I'm going to try hard to avoid the public after tomorrow ... I've just got a weee bit of grocery shopping to do and then I'm dunzo.

I am one of those people who doesn't go to Starbucks and asks stupid questions ... hehe ... but then again, I don't drink coffee, so Starbucks has very limited appeal for me ... $2 for a cup of tea is kinda pointless.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:39:00 PM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

Add me to the I like Christmas but we're too broke to do anything, buy anything, or go anywhere. Oh yeah, and I gotta work. So this Christmas is just a little depressing.

I'm just gonna sleep late and not answer the phone, which doesn't seem very Christmassy, but that's honestly the only gift I want this year.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 9:00:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It's really a Beastie Boys lyric. "Hey Ladies" from Paul's Boutique if he asks!

Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home