Sunday, December 16, 2007

White on white, light, sublime, subliminal

It turns out the "white boy" that the Kid was referring to was...The Pillsbury Doughboy. (Wow, Robin, way to figure it out!!) I was making those mini pigs in a blanket, and he thought that little white boy on the package was too cute. "Super Size Me" was right. It's all about marketing, baby. Good thing Joe Camel isn't around anymore.

I know everyone's grouchy, but I love Christmas and I can't wait for it. Then today my family informed me that Christmas will be at MY house this year. Way to plan ahead, people. I do not like changes of plans and I hate last minute things even more. The holidays don't stress me out, family does.

Now that it is my responsibility, my brother and I have decided to do as we please, and plan a meal of fried chicken and waffles for Christmas. We're Southern like that. It's a meal we both love, so why not have it on Christmas too. The rest of the family will probably be like, WTF, but who cares. I did run the menu by O.G., who plans on making her famous Gulliver's corn. However I know she hates birds/poultry/anything with wings, so we'll have to figure something else out for her or else she will just be having...waffles and corn.

The best part of this news is that I can make dessert. Our family always does pie, and while I do love pie, after November I am usually pie-d out. So now I am hunting through my recipes for something...good. When I was younger, I made a series of traditional French Christmas desserts. One year I made a Buche de Noel, another a croquembouche. It's sort of odd that I didn't turn out to be a pastry chef, isn't it, given my penchant for eating fabulous desserts, even as a child. I dunno. I'll figure out something. I just hope my brother is sharpening his knives. Someone's gotta carve the Christmas Waffle.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jesser said...

Ummm.. yea ... can I come to your house for Xmas. Cuz I am soooo sick of dry turkey and the same crap we had at Thanksgiving. Thanks.

PS. Make jambalya bread pudding with bourbon sauce ... it really helps out the family aspect of most holidays. ;)

Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:32:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Mmmm, always love the look of the croquembouche tower - you SHOULD'VE BEEN french pastry chef...then I'd be at your house all the time, hahaha.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

"The holidays don't stress me out, family does."
Story of my life.

This pumpkin roll is really easy to make and is a nice change from pumpkin pie. It still tastes nice and holiday-ish.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Roll-II/Detail.aspx

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I am very impressed you made a croquembouche! I've always secretly wanted to.

We always make Italian food for Christmas. Non-traditional is the way to go.

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:50:00 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I still have my rubber doughboy from my childhood and his girl counterpart (sister? special dough friend?) I keep it on a shelf in my bedroom. Only because it freaks my husband out.
Your son has great taste, I loved that white guy.

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Wow, I don't even know what those French things are. We usually just eat out, just the two of us, on Christmas. I think we actually got a party invite this year, so we'll go there after we go to the movies. Hopefully, they will have food.

Monday, December 17, 2007 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

Make something with alcohol in it. Then they'll pass out. Or if you're lucky, you will.

Are you coming tonight? I bet you're not coming tonight. :(

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really are in the wrong occupation. I hope your family at least appreciates it. My mom scolded me one year for making stuff that was "too fancy". Er, thanks mom.

myra

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:38:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I loved to just do appitizers like in Mermaids but a few years back my mom started cooking dinner anyway. We actually like our family get togethers at Christmas.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home