Monday, January 21, 2008

CAKEtastrophe!

So the night before the Pirate party, all was well. Everything was made or prepped and the cake was done too. I was all set to go to bed at 10:30pm, as that is my bedtime and what I had planned on anyway. I went back into the kitchen to stick in the pirate flags and lo and behold...the cake EXPLODED. The whole front end just collapsed like, well, a sunken ship!

Here's where I think it all went wrong. I made the cake out of a stupid Vegan chocolate cake recipe that tastes great, but without eggs and butter, there is not enough structure to hold together an elaborate carved cake. I used that recipe cause I thought chocolate would be tasty, and since the Kid is allergic to chocolate - there in no chocolate, just cocoa in the Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe. Turns out it was a bad idea. Two, I had envisioned how I'd build the ship in my head, but against better judgement I went to the bookstore/internet and found recipes on building a pirate ship out of cake. All of them said to take two round cakes, cut them in half and glue the four pieces together. So I did. Then I carved the sides to a point, and it frosted up well, but the stickage, not so much.

Stupid recipes. I should have stuck to my architectural instincts and built it the way I had planned. Instead I got a cake explosion that looked something like this:

Poor Peter. Hook had him by hook or by crook. So at 10:30pm I decided what the hell, let's give it another go, and I baked/frosted/decorated a whole new cake in just one hour. It went much faster the second time and I built it structurally sound. And since it was going to be frosted anyway, I used a WHITE cake recipe this time. Whaddya know, it was PERFECT.

I used Tootsie Rolls for the cannons, and Whoppers maltballs for the canon balls. The 'water' is just blue non-pareils. TONS of them. I took the Kid's Peter and Hook figurines, obviously, to which he said, "HEY! Where're you takin' my stuff??" Sheesh. It's like do you want a cake or not, dammit??

Now I should have kept the crapped out cake and set it next to the new one and had the ships battle it out. I was contemplating burning ship remnants and dying pirates in the exploded cake ship, but this ain't Ace of Cakes up in here. I just wanted a simple pirate cake. And to get some shut eye.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Oh, I sooo hope it's not the Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe I e-mailed you!

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Librarian said...

You are the best mum ever! Do you know what I would have done? Burst into tears and eaten the exploded cake, that's what.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:26:00 AM  
Anonymous doahleigh said...

Hey how is that cannonball floating next to Hook?

Seriously though, nice cake!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Jeanie said...

What little boy wouldn't have ADORED that cake?!!

A masterpiece! Good job, Jen, and after 10:30 at night, too!

Jeanie

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

that is such an awesome cake. one of my best friends is a huge peter pan nut. i must show him this.

but then he might want me to make it for him. i don't think i could pull it off!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

You should have totally had the cakes battle it out!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So, how did that pirate ship taste? Did you end up cutting into it later in the party?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:16:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

my son turned 21 this weekend. his girlfriend baked the cake and I bought some shots. it was much easier than the year my mom set a bunch of dirty dishes on top of his cake about 20 minutes before party time...

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home