Sunday, January 06, 2008

Really beautiful and really mean. Like Diana Ross.

I went to the movies twice in the past two days, which is quite a feat considering I go about once a year. What better way to spread my coughy germs around. UGH.

First, off, I saw I Am Legend. I LOVE Will Smith, and wanted to see this movie quite badly...but why? I did not know the premise, I knew nothing about it, except he's the dj I'm the rapper. Meaning, my love of Will Smith left me sitting in a movie...about zombies. Holy Christ, I hate scary movies, I mean, seriously, I can't handle them. Halfway through the movie I am starting to realize that this is no boating accident, there are some real motherf*ing zombies about to show up. I freaked. I kept looking longingly at the door, knowing that just next door Nicolas Cage could show me where the National Treasure was instead. While I Am Legend is not a horror movie by any stretch, and I'm sure it's not scary for a normal person, I just about peed my self and I think I may have had a small coronary from the stress of it all.

Aside from my zombie error, I went to see Juno. I thought it was fantastic, just great, clean writing. Excellent cast, great twists and turns, I thought it was just really well done. I hijacked O.G. from her inner sanctum and took her with me. O.G.'s a busy woman who's got no time for you, but she loves her some indie-esque films and makes it a point to see ALL NOMINATED FILMS before the awards ceremony. This year she's been a little slack in the viewing. She told me that one of her New Year's resolutions was to see more movies. The others, you ask? Gain weight (we should all have this problem) and lastly, spend 15 minutes in each room and clean out one drawer.

That last one seems extremely specific, but whatever. So I killed off two of her resolutions by taking her to see Juno and then to eat at In and Out afterwards, to fatten her up. While my stomach will surely be getting it's revenge on me later, at least I can sleep well knowing that I helped and Old Lady achieve her goals. Hopefully she's been cleaning out her sock drawer for the last 15 minutes, and we can call it three.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I'm a little scared to see I Am Legend too, but I'm not totally opposed to zombies. We'll see. Still holding out for an upcoming free screening of Juno. If only we could give weight away, I'd pack some up and go out in the rain to mail it to O.G.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

TAF took me to see "I Am Legend" and I had No Idea it was A Scary Movie. I thought it was just Straight-On Sci-Fi. I was Terrified, mostly because I just had not been Psyched into seeing A Scary Movie. Which made it even Scarier!!!

xoxo,
TDR

Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Juno was great, I totally loved it too. There are videos of Michael Cera and Jason Bateman on the movie's website which are very funny. Oh, how I miss Arrested Development.

The soundtrack is also superb.

Monday, January 07, 2008 9:53:00 AM  
Anonymous myra said...

I can't take scary movies at all. I watched "Silence of the Lambs" on TBS and was still freaked even with all the made for tv editing.

You should watch "The Omega Man" another film adaptation of the "I am Legend" book. It stars Charleston Heston and it's hilarious.

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Calcium Glitter said...

Ugh, FUCK I am Legend! That was seriously the scariest movie I've seen in a long time. There's something about watching people lose their families that I can't stomach. And also, zombies are my greatest fear. Even though those beasts were technically just enraged cancer patients, not actually undead.

As for Juno, I was slightly dissapointed, Michael Cera was the only reason I saw it, and he had a relatively small role for being such an important character. And the relationship between Juno and Mark made my skin crawl in the way that only an uncomfortable slightly pedophilish relationship can.

And it was also ametuer hour at the theater.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:12:00 AM  
Anonymous P. said...

zombies or not, will smith can do no wrong. i LOVE him.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 3:42:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It was such a battle to not see "I Am Legend" because I too love Will Smith, but unlike you, knew good and well that it was a scary zombie movie. So I sent my husband and he came back to report every detail. I still got scared.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Liz said...

I can't stop laughing at O.G.'s drawer-cleaning resolution for some reason. Usually I lurk like a zombie in wait (mwhahaha) but I love your blog, man!

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home