Sunday, January 20, 2008

Yo ho, yo ho, the pirates life for me.

The pirate party is over! I think it went pretty well, but who knows. The food turned out as I had hoped, which is always a relief. Here's a rundown of my menu:

mini fruit skewers - pineapple, grapes and strawberries
Salami and cheese on a mini skewer
Cap'n Crunch chicken wings
Pasta Salad
FAUX Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches
A variety of cereals
Sweet bread rolls
Spam Musubi
Brown Sugar Meatballs
Celery & Carrot Sticks
Jello aquariums - blue jello w/gummi fish
Punch
Pirate fondant CupcakesPirate Ship Cake
Watermelon Ice Cream Bombe

This party was easier than any other party I've done - I think it was because the bulk of the work was done the day before.

The pirate cupcakes went fast. Doing the fondant days before was perfect. I just frosted the cupcakes and plopped them on at the last minute. I still think fondant sucks cause it tastes horrible, but as far as decorating - yes, there's nothing better to work with.
The peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were faux because some of the kids had bad peanut allergies. So I used Sunflower Seed Butter! To make it even crazier I put it on rainbow bread from King's Hawaiian Bakery. Yes, it really is that neon color. Oddly the enough, the adults were the ones who ate the sandwiches and the kids stayed away from them. Hm.
And the pirate cake turned out...ok. There was a horrible CAKEtastrophe, but more on that tomorrow. Otherwise, here is a picture of the final product.
I put his four candles on a Watermelon Ice Cream bombe and we all sang him Happy Birthday. It was all good. All in all, the Kid was happy and that's all that matters. Oh - and the winners of the party favor giveaway are...Leslie & Doahleigh! Email me your addresses, thanks for playing!

And now, as I type this, I am entering retirement. Slipping into my blissful, party-less life. Until November that is. Blergh. More party pics here, and more party stories tomorrow...

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous doahleigh said...

Holy crap I won something! That never happens. I'm emailing you my address right now...

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:13:00 AM  
Blogger shizzknits said...

Love the Pirate Party! I had one for Little Man a couple of years ago but yours takes the cake (pun intended). The food ideas are wonderful!

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:06:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

OMG, awesome food! But very different than the food we had at our party this past weekend! :)

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:47:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

It was all so yummy and fabulous, as always!

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:24:00 AM  
Anonymous dawn said...

It all looks amazing - as usual!

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:27:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Oh! There's Peter Pan! On the cake! Duh! I was trying to find him when I was playing with the toy boat on the floor.

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger ballin_axehammer said...

what a RAD pirate party! I have some fun ideas for my next dungeons and dragons meetup. Skewered food!!! I love Kings Hawaiian. I work down the street and I can smell the bakery cooking up some carby goodness every morning.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Christy said...

It's my first time here (directed from notmartha!) and I have to let you know that there are fondants that aren't terrible. If you google marshmallow fondant and find a recipe (follow the link from my name to www.cakecentral.com - it's there in the articles section) - it's cheap, fun to play with and tastes only of marshmallows! Much better than the other stuff!

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:04:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Whoa! That cake is awesome, YOU are awesome. Freakin' brilliant!

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home