Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dip, baby, dip

I am making cookies for a party and I can't decide. Should I make lemon cookies, or ginger spice cookies? I don't know why those two are stuck in my mind, I just know I don't want to do chocolate (with the Kid allergic and all). Or something totally different? Hm. I need help.

With STORMWATCH all up in this mug, I only have a small window of opportunity to get in our weekend outings before the rainstorms. This Saturday we headed to downtown - again - since I love it so. I took the boys to Philippe's - the king of the French dipped sandwiches.
We got there at 11am, which is perfect cause that place is a NIGHTMARE at lunch rush hour. The thing about Philippe's is, you have to wait. No matter WHO you are. Celebrities, lawyers, and bums like us, all have to wait like commoners in line for our turn. And sometimes there is yelling. Like when we were there. Jesus Christ, it's just a sandwich people, chill out, you're scaring my children.

Grabbing a seat on the stools and tables, we filled ourselves with french dipped sandwiches, side salads, 70 cent lemonade and 9 cent coffee. Yes. 9 cents.

I should have taken a picture of the food, but frankly, we were starving and there was no time. If I could walk we would have taken a stroll down to Union Station to see the trains.

Instead we drove down to J-town town for snack-y desserts. We stopped to watch them make fresh imagawayaki (I can't say that word unless I do it real slow) which is a warm fresh pancake with sweet red bean inside - $1. The Kid like the pancake, the Baby likes the bean. Go figure. And we just HAD to have a little mochi ice cream - 80 cents.

Sure gas prices here in L.A. are soaring as much as 2 cents a day, but as far as food? A deliciously CHEAP day all in all.

P.S. My foot still hurts.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I heart Philippe's.

Monday, February 25, 2008 12:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK totally curious on the title. It's from "Burn, Baby, Burn...Disco Inferno", yes?

Monday, February 25, 2008 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

I vote lemon, if it's not too late to vote.

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Lemon, fo 'sho!

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I vote ginger spice, although I'm still bummed you couldn't come to my party. I love Phillipe, but I get my sandwich dry as I HATE soggy bread. DAH! Defeats the purpose, I'm sure, but the meat is good. And the long lines usually move fairly quickly. Those old, salty counter ladies are pretty fast.

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say both. don't know if it's complimentary or not, but it should be.

I've come to enjoy the sweet red bean filling. it's not too much.

kat

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Tootsee Roll, anonymous.

Jodi, I'd come to your party if I could walk. Then again, it was in the Valley. So maybe not.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger xtena said...

dam't, i wanted to go!

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:34:00 PM  
Anonymous mayieve said...

what's a french dipped sandwich?

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:12:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

It's a meat sandwich that's dipped into an au jus - the juices from the meat while cooking. Ok that sounds nasty now that I'm describing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_dip_sandwich

Friday, February 29, 2008 6:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Jarred said...

Here, I do not actually imagine it will have effect.
women masterbating | parallel parking | crotchless pantyhose

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home