Sunday, February 10, 2008

Push it real good

Ok, by now all the shower guests are in the know and the mom2be is too busy with a newborn to read this blog. So when I found out my friend was having a baby I was very excited for her. But she lived far away, and most of her friends were scattered all over the country, as well. When it turned out that she ended up having to go on bedrest for HALF her pregnancy, I knew she had to be miserable. Bedrest always sounds like fun, but it rarely is. Especially when you inevitably have to push a basketball out of your vagina.
So I thought the best way to cheer her up, and put my own creative boredom to good use, was to throw her a "Virtual Shower". I told her to give me a list of 10 friends, I would send them a favor box, and all they had to do was send the mom2be a gift. That's it! What is better than free crap in the mail? Nothing, I tell you. And it was a very simple concept, where I could handle everything myself. Except, of course, I had to go overboard with the matchy-match.

She was having a girl and was cool with pink, so I went with a pink and brown theme. (As I have done...in the past. Shut up.) I designed EVERYTHING around this, and I drew a little swaddled baby girl to go with it. I enclosed three cards that were kind of like 'shower games' but not as lame, in the box, as well as a stamped addressed envelope to the mom2be, so they just had to fill out the cards, and mail it in the envelope that I provided. See, I'm making this as easy as possible for the participants.

One card was a fill in the blank, 'when I'm pregant I look forward to...". The second was a traditional 'make all the baby names you can out of the parents names' card, and finally a plain old 'advice' card. Always handy. On mine I wrote, "GET THE EPIDURAL."

As far as the favor itself, here's what I put in the box for the girls. A pink washcloth, a bag of pink and brown maltballs, (Harry & David had the cutest Valentine's stuff, but I tossed the reds as they did not go with my decor. Pfft.) and I made each girl personalized notecards, in pink, of course. The kicker was three little 'Fat Witch Baby' brownies. When mom2be went on our bachelorette to New York, we all fell in love with these, the best brownies in the world, and I thought the 'baby' size was just too cute.

I even included a label with the mom2be's address, so that all they had to do was stick it on the gift they were supposed to buy, and mail it off. Hey, I am helpful to the lazy.

Throwing a virtual shower was the best way to show a long distance friend that I cared, and it wasn't that expensive. The main cost was the shipping, really. And hey, it quenched my party planning thirst as well. More "Virtual Shower" prep pics HERE, and to see what I gave her for a gift...
...click here.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

what an awesome idea and SO helpful. i bet you're friend is very grateful for you- for many reasons. :)

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:23:00 PM  
Blogger Annika said...

Holy smacks, what a great shower.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Marci said...

Cutest idea!
And you're an awesome friend!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:14:00 PM  
Anonymous dawn said...

You're amazing! And a genius! An amazing genius!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Keely said...

That is so cool! Wanna help me plan a shower for this April? ;P

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger SAJ said...

wow. you're so brilliant.

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:06:00 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

That is the greatest idea! I'm with SAJ, you're brilliant.

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:01:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Awesome, like always, Jenn!

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:07:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

thoughtful. lovely.

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:26:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

You are awesome!! Love the personalized note cards!

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:56:00 PM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

Wicked...all the candy and treats without having to drop a carrot in a jar or wear a stupid hat full of bows from the presents. I hate those stupid shower games.

Ew. I said shower games. Sorry about that.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

You are awesome!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home